This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Pelvic And Abdominal Computerized Axial Tomography
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
A computerized axial tomography scan is also called a CT scan, or a CAT scan. A CT scan uses x-rays to take pictures of blood vessels, tissues, bones, or organs in your abdomen or pelvis.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
Follow up with your primary healthcare provider (PHP) or specialist as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Drink liquids as directed:
Liquids will help flush the contrast dye out of your body. Ask how much liquid to drink each day, and which liquids to drink. Some foods, such as soup and fruit, also provide liquid.
Contact your PHP or specialist if:
- You have a rash, or your skin is swollen or itches.
- You have pain that gets worse, even after you take pain medicine.
- You have a new cough.
- You have nausea or are vomiting.
- Your heart is beating faster than normal for you.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- You have any of the following signs of a heart attack:
- Squeezing, pressure, or pain in your chest that lasts longer than 5 minutes or returns
- Discomfort or pain in your back, neck, jaw, stomach, or arm
- Trouble breathing
- Nausea or vomiting
- Lightheadedness or a sudden cold sweat, especially with chest pain or trouble breathing
- You have trouble breathing.
- You have a seizure.
- You suddenly feel dizzy or faint.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.