This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
What is it? Caregivers have given your child a medicine called syrup of ipecac (ip-uh-kak). Your child was given this because he may have swallowed something harmful. Syrup of ipecac will make your child vomit (throw up) and get rid of what was swallowed.
- Keep a large bowl or bucket near your child to be ready for more vomiting. Have your child sleep or nap on his side or stomach. If your child vomits while lying on his back, the vomit may go into his lungs. Your child may have pain in his abdomen (belly) for a while after vomiting. He may also have loose BMs.
- Poison-proof your home to keep it safe for your child. Lock up or put out of reach medicines and other things that could harm your child. Keep syrup of ipecac locked up in your medicine cabinet.
- If you think your child has swallowed something harmful again, quickly call caregivers or the Poison Control Center. DO NOT give your child ipecac unless caregivers or the Poison Control Center tell you to do so.
You have the right to help plan your care. To help with this plan, you must learn about ipecac and how it is used to help treat poisoning. You can then discuss treatment options with your caregivers. Work with them to decide what care will be used to treat you. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.