Skip to Content

Hearing Loss in Children


Hearing loss means your child has trouble hearing or he cannot hear at all in one or both ears. Hearing loss can happen suddenly or slowly over time.


Follow up with your child's primary healthcare provider as directed:

Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.

Help your child manage his hearing loss:

  • Keep your child away from loud noise: This can help prevent more hearing loss. Loud noise includes fireworks, loud music, motorcycles, and power tools.
  • Face your child when you speak to him: Do not cover your mouth as you speak. When you are in a group setting, have your child sit in a location where he can clearly see the faces of the people who are talking. Ask people not to speak loudly or shout when they speak to your child if they do this. People should speak using their usual tone and volume.
  • Learn about listening devices: If you have a school-age child, ask caregivers about listening aids that will work in a classroom. These will make it easier for your child to hear a teacher and other classmates.
  • If your child has hearing aids, he should wear them regularly: Talk to your child's primary healthcare provider if your child is having trouble with his hearing aid.
  • Ask about cochlear implants: If hearing aids do not help your child, talk to his primary healthcare provider. Ask if cochlear implants can help him hear better. These implants are placed in the inner ear during surgery.

For support and more information:

  • American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
    2200 Research Boulevard
    Rockville , MD 20850-3289
    Phone: 1- 800 - 638-8255
    Web Address:
  • Better Hearing Institute
    1444 I Street NW, Suite 700
    Washington , DC 20005
    Phone: 1- 202 - 449-1100
    Web Address:

Contact your child's primary healthcare provider if:

  • Your child has a fever.
  • Your child has ear pain that is getting worse.
  • Your child has ringing in his ears or dizziness that will not go away.
  • You have questions or concerns about your child's condition or care.

Seek care immediately or call 911 if:

  • Your child has fluid, pus, or blood leaking from his ear.
  • Your child has sudden, severe hearing loss.

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.

Learn more about Hearing Loss in Children (Discharge Care)

Associated drugs

IBM Watson Micromedex