This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Chickenpox Vaccine For Children
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
The chickenpox vaccine is an injection given to your child to protect him from chickenpox. Chickenpox is a common childhood infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. The virus causes fever and an itchy rash that spreads over the entire body. The rashes turn into small blisters that dry up to form scabs. The infection may spread and damage your child's skin, lungs, and brain. The chickenpox vaccine may be given by itself or combined with other vaccines.
Call 911 for any of the following:
- Your child's mouth and throat are swollen.
- Your child is wheezing or has trouble breathing.
- Your child has chest pain or his heart is beating faster than usual.
- Your child feels like he is going to faint.
Return to the emergency department if:
- Your child's face is red or swollen.
- Your child has hives that spread over his body.
- Your child feels weak or dizzy.
Contact your child's healthcare provider if:
- Your child has increased pain, redness, or swelling around the area where the shot was given.
- You have questions or concerns about your child's condition or the chickenpox vaccine.
Apply a warm compress
to your child's injection area as directed to decrease pain and swelling.
Follow up with your child's healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your child's visits.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.