The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Zypram cream with cleansing wipes
Generic Name: hydrocortisone acetate/pramoxine (HYE-droe-KOR-ti-sone AS-e-tate/pram-OX-een)
Brand Name: Zypram
Zypram cream with cleansing wipes are used for:
Treating inflammation and itching of the anal area due to certain skin conditions.
Zypram cream with cleansing wipes are a combination topical corticosteroid and local anesthetic. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation) in a way that is not exactly understood. It also decreases pain in the affected area.
Do NOT use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zypram cream with cleansing wipes
- you have a rectal obstruction, abscess, or perforation
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zypram cream with cleansing wipes:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zypram cream with cleansing wipes. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin in the affected area
- if you have a parasitic, bacterial, fungal, or viral infection; diabetes; diarrhea; swelling of the esophagus; stomach or intestinal problems (eg, blockage, colostomy, fistula, inflammation, perforation, ulcer); inflammation of the lining of the abdomen; measles; tuberculosis (TB); a positive TB skin test; chickenpox; shingles; herpes infection of the eye; or kidney problems; or if you have received a recent vaccination
- if you have a history of congestive heart failure or heart attack
- if you have had a recent intestinal surgery or procedure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zypram cream with cleansing wipes. Because little, if any, of Zypram cream with cleansing wipes are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Zypram cream with cleansing wipes may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes:
Use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Zypram cream with cleansing wipes are for use around the rectal area only.
- Wash your hands immediately before and after using Zypram cream with cleansing wipes.
- Gently clean the affected area with the cleansing wipe provided.
- Fill the applicator with Zypram cream with cleansing wipes as directed. Gently insert the tip of the filled applicator about Â½ inch into the anal area and apply Zypram cream with cleansing wipes as directed. Do not insert the applicator too far into the anus or rectum.
- If you miss a dose of Zypram cream with cleansing wipes, apply it as soon as possible. If you do not remember until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once. Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes.
Important safety information:
- Avoid getting Zypram cream with cleansing wipes in your eyes. If you get Zypram cream with cleansing wipes in your eyes, immediately flush them with cool tap water.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 to 3 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes for other rectal conditions at a later time.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Zypram cream with cleansing wipes.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes.
- Caution is advised when using Zypram cream with cleansing wipes in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Serious side effects may occur if too much of Zypram cream with cleansing wipes are absorbed through the skin. This may be more likely to occur if you use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes over a large area of the body. It may also be more likely if you wrap or bandage the area after you apply Zypram cream with cleansing wipes. The risk is greater in children. Do not use more than the prescribed dose. Contact your doctor right away if you develop unusual weight gain (especially in the face), muscle weakness, increased thirst or urination, confusion, unusual drowsiness, severe or persistent headache, or vision changes. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zypram cream with cleansing wipes while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Zypram cream with cleansing wipes, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Zypram cream with cleansing wipes:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild burning, dryness, itching, or irritation at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; excessive hair growth; fever or other signs of infection; inflamed hair follicles; muscle weakness; rectal pain, burning, cracking, itching, bleeding, peeling, or irritation not present before using Zypram cream with cleansing wipes; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Zypram cream with cleansing wipes:
Store Zypram cream with cleansing wipes between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zypram cream with cleansing wipes out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zypram cream with cleansing wipes, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zypram cream with cleansing wipes are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Zypram cream with cleansing wipes or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Zypram cream with cleansing wipes. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Zypram cream with cleansing wipes. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Zypram cream with cleansing wipes.