The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Zymine XR suspension
Generic Name: triprolidine (trye-PROE-li-deen)
Brand Name: Zymine XR
Zymine XR suspension is used for:
Preventing or treating symptoms of hay fever or other allergies, such as runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and itchy, watery eyes. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Zymine XR suspension is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, reducing the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Do NOT use Zymine XR suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zymine XR suspension or other similar medicines
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zymine XR suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zymine XR suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); chronic bronchitis; lung problems (eg, emphysema); shortness of breath; sleep apnea; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; seizures; a blockage of your stomach, intestine, or bladder; difficulty urinating; diabetes; ulcers; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; glaucoma; heart problems; high blood pressure; porphyria; phenylketonuria; or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zymine XR suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because an increase in sleep duration and a decrease in the ability to breathe are likely to occur
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, phenelzine) or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Zymine XR suspension's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zymine XR suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zymine XR suspension:
Use Zymine XR suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Zymine XR suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Zymine XR suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zymine XR suspension.
Important safety information:
- Zymine XR suspension may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Zymine XR suspension. Using Zymine XR suspension alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Zymine XR suspension. Zymine XR suspension will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Zymine XR suspension may cause dizziness. Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase this effect. To prevent it, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or during exercise or other activities since heatstroke may occur.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, check with your doctor. You may need to stop taking Zymine XR suspension for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Phenylketonuria patients - Zymine XR suspension contains phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- If your symptoms do not get better, or if they get worse, or if they occur with a fever, contact your doctor.
- Use Zymine XR suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dizziness, sedation, and lightheadedness upon standing.
- Zymine XR suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zymine XR suspension while you are pregnant. Zymine XR suspension is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are taking Zymine XR suspension.
Possible side effects of Zymine XR suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, and nose; excitability; loss of appetite; thickening of mucus in nose or throat.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions; decreased alertness; fast heartbeat or pounding in the chest; hallucinations; tremor; trouble urinating; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; excitement; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; muscle twitching; seizures; tremor; weakness.Proper storage of Zymine XR suspension:
Store Zymine XR suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zymine XR suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zymine XR suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zymine XR suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zymine XR suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.