Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/hydrocodone/pseudoephedrine (KLOR-fen-IR-a-meen/HYE-droe-KOE-done/SOO-doe-e-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Zutripro
Zutripro liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Zutripro liquid is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex, which reduces a dry cough.
Do NOT use Zutripro liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zutripro liquid or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, oxycodone)
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma, severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, severe heart problems, increased pressure in the brain, or slow or shallow breathing
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zutripro liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zutripro liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor, Addison disease); heart problems (eg, cor pulmonale; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart disease); high or low blood pressure; liver or kidney problems; low blood volume; diabetes; blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea), chronic cough, or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have severe drowsiness, a recent head or brain injury, brain tumor or lesions, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, or a seizure disorder (eg, epilepsy)
- if you have a history of constipation, stomach problems (eg, ulcers), bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel, diarrhea due to antibiotic use), or gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones); a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or bowel; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or if you have had recent stomach, bowel, or urinary surgery
- if you have a history of alcohol or substance abuse or dependence, mental or mood problems (eg, depression), suicidal thoughts or behavior, you are in poor health, or you are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zutripro liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Furazolidone, linezolid, or MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because severe high blood pressure and fever may occur
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), cimetidine, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), muscle relaxants (eg, cyclobenzaprine), opioid analgesics (eg, oxycodone), phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), sodium oxybate (GHB), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may increase the risk of Zutripro liquid's side effects
- Anticholinergics (eg, oxybutynin, scopolamine) because a serious bowel motility problem (paralytic ileus) may occur
- Buprenorphine or naltrexone because they may decrease Zutripro liquid's effectiveness. Withdrawal symptoms may also occur in patients who are physically dependent on opioids
- Quinidine because it may decrease Zutripro liquid's effectiveness
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Zutripro liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Zutripro liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zutripro liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zutripro liquid:
Use Zutripro liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Zutripro liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Zutripro liquid is usually used as needed. If you forget to take a dose of Zutripro liquid and you still have symptoms, take it when you remember as directed by your doctor. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zutripro liquid.
Important safety information:
- Zutripro liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zutripro liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Zutripro liquid may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Zutripro liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you take Zutripro liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant, antihistamine, or cough suppressant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Zutripro liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Zutripro liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Zutripro liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Zutripro liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Zutripro liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Zutripro liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Zutripro liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, low blood pressure, excitability, dry mouth, and trouble urinating.
- Zutripro liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed. Children younger than 6 years old may be at risk for severe and possibly fatal breathing problems.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zutripro liquid while you are pregnant. Zutripro liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Zutripro liquid.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Zutripro liquid may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Zutripro liquid stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
When used for longer than a few weeks or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Zutripro liquid. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you suddenly stop taking Zutripro liquid, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; rapid heartbeat; seeing, hearing or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; trouble sleeping.
Possible side effects of Zutripro liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Anxiety; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mental or mood changes (eg, depression, nervousness); persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe or persistent constipation or stomach pain; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, light-headedness, or headache; slow or shallow breathing; tremor; uncontrolled muscle movements; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual weakness or tiredness; vision changes (eg, blurred vision).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; cold and clammy skin; coma; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, light-headedness, or headache; slow or shallow breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Zutripro liquid:
Store Zutripro liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zutripro liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zutripro liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zutripro liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Zutripro liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Zutripro liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Zutripro liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Zutripro liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Zutripro (chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone / pseudoephedrine)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 14 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability