Generic Name: Simvastatin Tablets (sim va STAT in)
Brand Name: Zocor
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 19, 2019.
Uses of Zocor:
- It is used to slow the progress of heart disease.
- It is used to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol (HDL).
- It is used to lower triglycerides.
- It is used to lower the chance of heart attack, stroke, and death in some people.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zocor?
- If you have an allergy to simvastatin or any other part of Zocor (simvastatin tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with Zocor (simvastatin tablets), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Zocor (simvastatin tablets). Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you if you are taking a drug that must not be taken with Zocor (simvastatin tablets).
- If you have any of these health problems: Active liver disease or a rise in liver enzymes.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Zocor (simvastatin tablets) if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Zocor (simvastatin tablets).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Zocor (simvastatin tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zocor (simvastatin tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zocor?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zocor (simvastatin tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Avoid or limit drinking alcohol to less than 3 drinks a day. Drinking too much alcohol may raise your chance of liver disease.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- If you are Chinese, talk with your doctor. You could have a greater risk of muscle problems.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking Zocor (simvastatin tablets) with your other drugs.
- If you are 65 or older, use Zocor (simvastatin tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking Zocor (simvastatin tablets).
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Zocor (simvastatin tablets), call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Zocor) best taken?
Use Zocor (simvastatin tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take in the evening.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Zocor (simvastatin tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- This medicine may cause muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness. Sometimes, a very bad muscle problem may happen that may lead to kidney problems. Rarely, deaths have happened in people who get these problems when taking drugs like this one. Call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness that is not normal (with or without fever or feeling out of sorts). Call your doctor right away if you have muscle signs that last after your doctor has told you to stop taking Zocor (simvastatin tablets).
- Liver problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Zocor?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Zocor?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zocor (simvastatin tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Zocor (simvastatin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 20 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: statins
- FDA Alerts (8)
Other brands: FloLipid