Zithronal RR cream
Generic Name: anthralin (AN-thrah-lin)
Brand Name: Examples include Dritho-Scalp and Zithronal RR
Zithronal RR cream is used for:
Zithronal RR cream is a topical antimitotic. It works by slowing the reproduction of skin cells.
Do NOT use Zithronal RR cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zithronal RR cream
- you have active inflamed psoriatic eruptions
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zithronal RR cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zithronal RR cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflamed psoriatic eruptions, folliculitis, other skin problems, or kidney disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zithronal RR cream. Because little, if any, of Zithronal RR cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zithronal RR cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zithronal RR cream:
Use Zithronal RR cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Zithronal RR cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, and mouth. Do not apply to folds or creases of the skin.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Apply a small amount onto the lesions and rub it in gently and carefully.
- At the end of each skin treatment period, rinse the skin completely with cool to lukewarm water before washing it with soap. The margins of lesions may gradually become stained (purple/brown) as you continue to use Zithronal RR cream, but the staining will disappear after your treatment is finished.
- For scalp treatment, wash your hair before applying Zithronal RR cream. Rinse your hair with water, and comb it to remove scaling. Apply Zithronal RR cream while your scalp is still damp. Rub the medicine into the lesions well. Do not apply Zithronal RR cream to areas where there are no lesions.
- Remove any medicine that may be behind the ears.
- At the end of each scalp treatment period, rinse your hair and scalp completely with cool to lukewarm water. Shampoo your hair and scalp to remove any additional cream (which may have become red/brown).
- Wash your hands immediately after using Zithronal RR cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If excessive soreness or spreading of lesions occurs after using Zithronal RR cream, contact your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Zithronal RR cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zithronal RR cream.
Important safety information:
- Zithronal RR cream may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Zithronal RR cream by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Zithronal RR cream may stain skin or hair. Temporary discoloration of hair and fingernails may occur while using Zithronal RR cream, but can be minimized by carefully applying the medicine.
- To prevent discoloration of the tub or shower, always rinse the tub or shower with lukewarm water right after washing or showering. Use a cleanser to remove any deposit on the surface of the tub or shower.
- Use protective dressings while using Zithronal RR cream to prevent staining of clothing and bed sheets unless instructed otherwise by your doctor. Staining of fabric may be permanent.
- Contact with plastics and other materials may cause staining and should be avoided.
- Use Zithronal RR cream with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Zithronal RR cream, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Zithronal RR cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if Zithronal RR cream is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Zithronal RR cream.
Possible side effects of Zithronal RR cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Irritation; staining of treated areas.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe skin soreness; spreading of lesions.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Zithronal RR cream:
Store Zithronal RR cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zithronal RR cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zithronal RR cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zithronal RR cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Zithronal RR cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Zithronal RR cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Zithronal RR cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Zithronal RR cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Zithranol-RR (anthralin topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating