Generic Name: anthralin (AN-thra-lin)
Brand Name: Zithranol Shampoo
Zithranol Shampoo is used for:
Treating scalp psoriasis.
Zithranol Shampoo is a topical antimitotic. It works by slowing the reproduction of skin cells.
Do NOT use Zithranol Shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zithranol Shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zithranol Shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zithranol Shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have folliculitis or other skin problems, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zithranol Shampoo. Because little, if any, of Zithranol Shampoo is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Zithranol Shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zithranol Shampoo:
Use Zithranol Shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Zithranol Shampoo. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Zithranol Shampoo is for external use on the scalp only. Do not apply directly to the face, underarms, or groin.
- Use Zithranol Shampoo for the smallest period of time necessary to treat your condition.
- To use Zithranol Shampoo, wet your hair completely. Apply Zithranol Shampoo to the scalp area and gently work into a lather. Allow the medicine to remain on the scalp for 3 to 5 minutes, or as directed by your doctor, and then rinse completely with lukewarm water.
- Use Zithranol Shampoo 3 to 4 times every week, unless your doctor directs you otherwise.
- No additional shampoo is needed to cleanse your hair after using Zithranol Shampoo. However, you may wash your hair with a nonmedicated shampoo or conditioner after you use Zithranol Shampoo, if desired.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Zithranol Shampoo.
- If you miss a dose of Zithranol Shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zithranol Shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Zithranol Shampoo is for external use only. Do not get Zithranol Shampoo in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Zithranol Shampoo in your eyes or on your face, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Zithranol Shampoo may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Zithranol Shampoo by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Do NOT apply Zithranol Shampoo more often than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your condition does not improve after 4 weeks or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Zithranol Shampoo may stain skin or hair. Temporary discoloration of hair and fingernails may occur while using Zithranol Shampoo, but can be minimized by carefully applying the medicine.
- To prevent discoloration of the tub or shower, always rinse the tub or shower with lukewarm water right after washing or showering. Use a cleanser to remove any deposit on the surface of the tub or shower.
- Use protective dressings while using Zithranol Shampoo to prevent staining of clothing and bed sheets unless instructed otherwise by your doctor. Staining of fabric may be permanent.
- Contact with plastics and other materials may cause staining and should be avoided.
- Zithranol Shampoo should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while using Zithranol Shampoo, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Zithranol Shampoo during pregnancy. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Zithranol Shampoo, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Zithranol Shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild irritation at the application site; staining of treated areas (including hair or skin).
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent irritation at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Zithranol Shampoo:
Store Zithranol Shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep the container tightly capped when not in use. Keep Zithranol Shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zithranol Shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zithranol Shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Zithranol Shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Zithranol Shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Zithranol Shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Zithranol Shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.