Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 29, 2020.
Uses of Zithranol Shampoo:
- It is used to treat psoriasis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zithranol Shampoo?
- If you have an allergy to anthralin or any other part of Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo).
- If you are allergic to Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo); any part of Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If the psoriasis is red or swollen.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zithranol Shampoo?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may stain fabric, flooring, painted surfaces, marble, granite, vinyl, and enamel.
- This medicine may stain fingernails, hair, and skin.
- Clean shower or tub right away after use to avoid staining.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Zithranol Shampoo) best taken?
Use Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Avoid putting on healthy skin.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Wet hair and scalp.
- Lather well and leave on as you have been told.
- Rinse well.
- Do not put Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo) on the face.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo) is used.
What are some other side effects of Zithranol Shampoo?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Zithranol Shampoo?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zithranol Shampoo (anthralin shampoo), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Zithranol (anthralin topical)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.