Generic Name: Paricalcitol Injection (pah ri KAL si tole)
Brand Name: Zemplar
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 17, 2019.
Uses of Zemplar:
- It is used to treat high parathyroid hormone levels in certain patients.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zemplar?
- If you have an allergy to paricalcitol or any other part of Zemplar (paricalcitol injection).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: High calcium levels or high vitamin D levels.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Zemplar (paricalcitol injection).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zemplar (paricalcitol injection) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zemplar?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zemplar (paricalcitol injection). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking other sources of vitamin D, talk with your doctor.
- If you take other products that have aluminum in them like some antacids, talk with your doctor.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- If you are taking digoxin, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while you are taking it with Zemplar (paricalcitol injection).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Zemplar (paricalcitol injection) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Zemplar) best taken?
Use Zemplar (paricalcitol injection) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a vein.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, constipation, or bone pain.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Passing urine more often.
- Weight loss.
- Not hungry.
- More thirst.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Fever or chills.
What are some other side effects of Zemplar?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Zemplar?
- If you need to store Zemplar (paricalcitol injection) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zemplar (paricalcitol injection), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Zemplar (paricalcitol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: vitamins
- Zemplar (Paricalcitol Capsules)
- Zemplar (Advanced Reading)
- Zemplar Intravenous (Advanced Reading)