Generic Name: Paricalcitol Capsules (par i KAL si tol)
Brand Name: Zemplar
Uses of Zemplar:
- It is used to treat or prevent high parathyroid hormone levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zemplar?
- If you have an allergy to paricalcitol or any other part of Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules).
- If you have any of these health problems: High calcium levels or high vitamin D levels.
- If you are taking other sources of vitamin D, talk with your doctor.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zemplar?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If you take other products that have aluminum in them like some antacids, talk with your doctor.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- Take Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules) at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after cholestyramine or mineral oil.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Zemplar) best taken?
Use Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you take Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules) 3 times weekly and you miss a dose, call your doctor to find out what to do.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, hard stools (constipation), or bone pain.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Passing urine more often.
- Weight loss.
- Not hungry.
- More thirst.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
What are some other side effects of Zemplar?
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Joint pain.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Not able to sleep.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Zemplar?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules) or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules). This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Zemplar (paricalcitol capsules).
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about Zemplar (paricalcitol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: vitamins
- Zemplar (Paricalcitol Injection)
- Zemplar (Advanced Reading)
- Zemplar Intravenous (Advanced Reading)