The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: potassium guaiacolsulfonate (poe-TAS-ee-um GWYE-a-kol-SUL-foe-nate)
Brand Name: Yodefan-NF
Yodefan-NF is used for:
Relieving symptoms of cough and mucus in the chest due to respiratory infections, asthma, colds, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Yodefan-NF is an expectorant. It works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs, making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This reduces chest congestion by making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Yodefan-NF if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Yodefan-NF
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Yodefan-NF:
Some medical conditions may interact with Yodefan-NF. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a chronic cough that occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Yodefan-NF. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines. However, no specific interactions with Yodefan-NF are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Yodefan-NF may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Yodefan-NF:
Use Yodefan-NF as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Yodefan-NF by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Yodefan-NF with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Drink plenty of water while taking Yodefan-NF.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Yodefan-NF and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Yodefan-NF.
Important safety information:
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has an expectorant in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Yodefan-NF before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Yodefan-NF while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Yodefan-NF, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Yodefan-NF:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Yodefan-NF. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Yodefan-NF:
Store Yodefan-NF at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Yodefan-NF out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Yodefan-NF, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Yodefan-NF is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Yodefan-NF. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.