The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: yohimbine (yoh-HIM-bean)
Brand Name: Examples include Aphrodyne and Yocon
Yocon is used for:
Dilating the pupils of the eye or treating erectile dysfunction due to diabetes, blood vessel problems, or psychological reasons. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Yocon is an alpha-blocker. It works by increasing certain chemicals in the body, which dilate the pupils of the eye. It also dilates blood vessels and increases blood flow in the penis, which helps to improve erectile function.
Do NOT use Yocon if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Yocon
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- you have heart problems, kidney problems, ulcers of the stomach or intestines, or a history of mental or mood disorders
- you are taking medicines for mental or mood problems (eg, antidepressants, tranquilizers)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Yocon:
Some medical conditions may interact with Yocon. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems, kidney problems, high blood pressure, angina (chest pain), stomach or intestinal ulcers, or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Yocon. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Medicines for mood or mental problems (eg, antidepressants, tranquilizers) because side effects may be increased by Yocon
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Yocon may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Yocon:
Use Yocon as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Yocon may be taken with or without food.
- It may take several weeks for Yocon to work.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or take Yocon for more than 10 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Yocon, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Yocon.
Important safety information:
- Yocon may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Yocon. Using Yocon alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Use Yocon with extreme caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Yocon is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Yocon is generally not recommended for use in women. Do not use Yocon if you are pregnant. If you suspect that you could be pregnant, contact your doctor immediately. It is unknown if Yocon is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Yocon.
Possible side effects of Yocon:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; flushing; headache; nausea; nervousness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); agitation; decreased or painful urination; fast heartbeat; hallucinations; irritability; panic attacks; restlessness; severe headache; sweating; tremors; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness; excitation; fatigue; irritability; nervousness; paralysis; seizures; severe stomach upset; weakness.Proper storage of Yocon:
Store Yocon at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Yocon out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Yocon, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Yocon is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Yocon or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Yocon. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Yocon. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Yocon.