Generic Name: Uridine Triacetate (Xuriden) (URE i deen trye AS e tate)
Brand Name: Xuriden
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 18, 2019.
Uses of Xuriden:
- It is used to treat a rare metabolism health problem called orotic aciduria.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Xuriden?
- If you have an allergy to Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) or any part of Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Xuriden?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Have your urine checked as you have been told by your doctor.
How is this medicine (Xuriden) best taken?
Use Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Your doctor will tell you how to take Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)). Be sure you know how much to take, how often to take Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)), and how to store this drug. If your doctor does not tell you how to use Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) or if you are not sure how to use it, talk with your doctor.
- Throw away any part of the packet not used after use.
- Mix granules with 3 to 4 ounces (90 to 120 mL) of applesauce, pudding, or yogurt.
- Do not chew Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)).
- Drink at least 4 ounces (120 mL) of water.
- Keep taking Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Some doses of Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) may be mixed with milk or infant formula. If you are mixing Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)) with milk or infant formula, follow what the doctor has told you or read the package insert.
- Swallow the mixture right away. Do not store for use at a later time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Xuriden?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Xuriden?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Xuriden (uridine triacetate (xuriden)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Xuriden (uridine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: miscellaneous uncategorized agents
Other brands: Vistogard