Generic Name: Ketoconazole Gel and Pyrithione Zinc Shampoo (KEE toe KON a zole & PIR i THYE one zink)
Brand Name: Xolegel Duo/Head & Shoulders, Xolegel Duo/Xolex
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 14, 2019.
Uses of Xolegel Duo/Xolex:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Xolegel Duo/Xolex?
- If you have an allergy to ketoconazole, pyrithione zinc, or any other part of Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Xolegel Duo/Xolex?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
How is this medicine (Xolegel Duo/Xolex) best taken?
Use Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Do not take Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo) by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Put a thin layer of gel on the affected part and rub in gently.
- Shake well before use.
- Wet hair and scalp.
- Put on enough shampoo to make a lather.
- Lather well and leave on as you have been told.
- Rinse well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo) is used.
What are some other side effects of Xolegel Duo/Xolex?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Xolegel Duo/Xolex?
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Xolegel Duo/Xolex (ketoconazole gel and pyrithione zinc shampoo), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.