Generic Name: Protriptyline (proe TRIP ti leen)
Brand Name: Vivactil
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take Vivactil (protriptyline) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Vivactil:
- It is used to treat low mood (depression).
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Vivactil?
- If you have an allergy to protriptyline or any other part of Vivactil (protriptyline).
- If you have had a recent heart attack.
- If you have taken certain drugs used for low mood (depression) like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine or drugs used for Parkinson's disease like selegiline or rasagiline in the last 14 days. Taking Vivactil (protriptyline) within 14 days of those drugs can cause very bad high blood pressure.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
- If you are taking cisapride.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Vivactil (protriptyline).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Vivactil (protriptyline) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Vivactil?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Vivactil (protriptyline). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Vivactil (protriptyline) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- If you have been taking Vivactil (protriptyline) for many weeks, talk with your doctor before stopping. You may want to slowly stop Vivactil (protriptyline).
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Tell your doctor if you have signs of high or low blood sugar like breath that smells like fruit, dizziness, fast breathing, fast heartbeat, feeling confused, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, flushing, headache, more thirsty or hungry, passing urine more often, shaking, or sweating.
- Talk with your doctor if you have seizures or have ever had seizures.
- Some people may have a higher chance of eye problems with Vivactil (protriptyline). Your doctor may want you to have an eye exam to see if you have a higher chance of these eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have eye pain, change in eyesight, or swelling or redness in or around the eye.
- This medicine may make you sunburn more easily. Use care if you will be in the sun. Tell your doctor if you sunburn easily while taking this drug.
- Be careful in hot weather or while being active. Drink lots of fluids to stop fluid loss.
- If you are 65 or older, use Vivactil (protriptyline) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Vivactil (protriptyline) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Vivactil) best taken?
Use Vivactil (protriptyline) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Vivactil (protriptyline) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, change in eyesight.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Feeling confused.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Fever or chills.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Trouble controlling body movements.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Yellow skin or eyes.
- Sweating a lot.
- Ringing in ears.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Very hard stools (constipation).
- Very bad belly pain.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- Change in sex interest.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Nipple discharge.
- Hair loss.
What are some other side effects of Vivactil?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry mouth.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not able to sleep.
- Bad dreams.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not hungry.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Change in taste.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
- Stomach cramps.
- Weight gain or loss.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Vivactil?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Vivactil (protriptyline) is refilled. If you have any questions about Vivactil (protriptyline), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Vivactil (protriptyline)
- Vivactil Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: tricyclic antidepressants