Generic Name: elvitegravir (EL-vi-TEG-ra-vir)
Brand Name: Vitekta
Vitekta is used for:
Treating HIV infection. Vitekta is to be taken along with ritonavir and certain other medicines.
Vitekta is an integrase strand transfer inhibitor. It works by reducing the amount of HIV in the body by blocking its ability to multiply.
Do NOT use Vitekta if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vitekta
- you have severe liver problems
- you are taking cobicistat and you are also taking certain other medicines to treat HIV. There are many medicines that you should not take if you are taking Vitekta along with cobicistat. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure
- you are taking boceprevir, efavirenz, nevirapine, rifampin, rifapentine, St. John's wort, or telaprevir
- you are taking another medicine that contains elvitegravir
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vitekta:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vitekta. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vitekta. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Bosentan, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, efavirenz , nevirapine, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine, or St. John's wort because they may decrease Vitektas effectiveness
- Ketoconazole because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Vitekta
- Boceprevir, hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills or patches) that contain ethinyl estradiol, or telaprevir because their effectiveness may decreased by Vitekta
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vitekta may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vitekta:
Use Vitekta as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Vitekta. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Vitekta by mouth with food.
- If you are also taking didanosine, take it at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after Vitekta.
- Do not take an antacid within 2 hours before or after you take Vitekta.
- Continue to take Vitekta even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Taking Vitekta at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Vitekta, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vitekta.
Important safety information:
- Keep a list of all the medicines that you take. Make a new list each time medicines are added or stopped. Find out about medicines that should not be taken while you are using Vitekta. Be sure that each of your health care providers knows all the medicines that you are taking.
- Do not change your dose of Vitekta without checking with your doctor.
- When your medicine supply is low, get more from your doctor or pharmacist as soon as you can. Do not stop taking Vitekta, even for a short period of time. If you do, the virus may grow resistant to the medicine and become harder to treat.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Vitekta before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Vitekta is not a cure for HIV infection. Patients may still get illnesses and infections associated with HIV. Remain under the care of your doctor.
- Vitekta does not stop the spread of HIV to others through blood or sexual contact. Do not have any kind of sex without protection (eg, latex or polyurethane condoms) if you have HIV infection. Do not share needles, injection supplies, or items like toothbrushes or razors. Talk with your health care provider about ways to prevent the spread of HIV to others.
- Vitekta may improve immune system function. This may reveal hidden infections in some patients. Tell your doctor right away if you notice symptoms of infection (eg, fever, sore throat, weakness, cough, shortness of breath) after you start Vitekta.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) that contains ethinyl estradiol may not work as well while you are using Vitekta. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vitekta while you are pregnant. Vitekta is found in breast milk. Mothers infected with HIV should not breast-feed. There is a risk of passing the HIV infection or Vitekta to the baby. Do not breast-feed while taking Vitekta.
Possible side effects of Vitekta:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vitekta:
Store Vitekta at room temperature, below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Store in the original container away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use if the seal on the bottle is broken or missing. Keep Vitekta out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vitekta, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vitekta is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vitekta or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vitekta. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vitekta. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vitekta.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Vitekta (elvitegravir)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: integrase strand transfer inhibitor