The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Viravan-T chewable tablets
Generic Name: phenylephrine/pyrilamine (FEN-il-EF-rin/pir-IL-a-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include Deconsal CT and Viravan-T
Viravan-T chewable tablets are used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, sinus pressure, runny nose, and sneezing due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Viravan-T chewable tablets are an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, relieving congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Viravan-T chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Viravan-T chewable tablets
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Viravan-T chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Viravan-T chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma, lung problems (eg, emphysema), adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, a blockage of your stomach or intestines, ulcers, a blockage of your bladder, trouble urinating, an enlarged prostate, seizures, or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Viravan-T chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Viravan-T chewable tablets's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Viravan-T chewable tablets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Viravan-T chewable tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Viravan-T chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Viravan-T chewable tablets:
Use Viravan-T chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Viravan-T chewable tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Viravan-T chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Viravan-T chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Viravan-T chewable tablets may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Viravan-T chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Viravan-T chewable tablets without checking with your doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Viravan-T chewable tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Viravan-T chewable tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Viravan-T chewable tablets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Viravan-T chewable tablets for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Viravan-T chewable tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Viravan-T chewable tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Viravan-T chewable tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Viravan-T chewable tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Viravan-T chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Viravan-T chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Viravan-T chewable tablets:
Store Viravan-T chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Viravan-T chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Viravan-T chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Viravan-T chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Viravan-T chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Viravan-T chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Viravan-T chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Viravan-T chewable tablets.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.