The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Viravan DM chewable tablets
Generic Name: dextromethorphan/phenylephrine/pyrilamine (DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/FEN-il-EF-rin/pir-IL-a-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include Deconsal DM and Viravan DM
Viravan DM chewable tablets are used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Viravan DM chewable tablets are a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex, which reduces a dry cough.
Do NOT use Viravan DM chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Viravan DM chewable tablets
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, a rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Viravan DM chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Viravan DM chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart blood vessel problems; or other heart problems
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); high blood pressure; diabetes; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Viravan DM chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Viravan DM chewable tablets's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Viravan DM chewable tablets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Viravan DM chewable tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Viravan DM chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Viravan DM chewable tablets:
Use Viravan DM chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Viravan DM chewable tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Viravan DM chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Viravan DM chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Viravan DM chewable tablets may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Viravan DM chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Viravan DM chewable tablets without checking with your doctor.
- Viravan DM chewable tablets has phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Viravan DM chewable tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Viravan DM chewable tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Viravan DM chewable tablets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Viravan DM chewable tablets for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Viravan DM chewable tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Viravan DM chewable tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Viravan DM chewable tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Viravan DM chewable tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Viravan DM chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Viravan DM chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Viravan DM chewable tablets:
Store Viravan DM chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Viravan DM chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Viravan DM chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Viravan DM chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Viravan DM chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Viravan DM chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Viravan DM chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Viravan DM chewable tablets.