Generic Name: lacosamide (la-KOE-sa-mide)
Brand Name: Vimpat
Vimpat solution is used for:
Treating partial-onset seizures in certain patients.
Vimpat solution is an anticonvulsant. Exactly how it works is not known, but it may work by slowing abnormal nerve impulses in the brain.
Do NOT use Vimpat solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vimpat solution
- you have severe liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vimpat solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vimpat solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes or nerve problems due to diabetes, phenylketonuria, liver problems, or kidney problems, or you are on dialysis
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure, heart block, irregular heartbeat, sick sinus syndrome) or heart blood vessel problems
- if you have a history of mental or mood problems (eg, depression), suicidal thoughts or actions, or alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence
- if you take medicine that may affect your heartbeat. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines may affect your heartbeat.
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vimpat solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines.
Ask your health care provider if Vimpat solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vimpat solution:
Use Vimpat solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Vimpat solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Vimpat solution refilled.
- Take Vimpat solution by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Taking Vimpat solution at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Vimpat solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Vimpat solution. You may have an increased risk of seizures. If you need to stop Vimpat solution, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Vimpat solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vimpat solution.
Important safety information:
- Vimpat solution may cause dizziness, drowsiness, decreased balance or coordination, and vision changes. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Vimpat solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Vimpat solution may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Vimpat solution contains phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, talk with your doctor before you use Vimpat solution.
- Patients who take Vimpat solution may be at increased risk of suicidal thoughts or actions. The risk may be greater in patients who have had suicidal thoughts or actions in the past. Watch patients who take Vimpat solution closely. Contact the doctor at once if new, worsened, or sudden symptoms, such as depressed mood; anxious, restless, or irritable behavior; panic attacks; or any unusual change in mood or behavior, occur. Contact the doctor right away if any signs of suicidal thoughts or actions occur.
- A serious and sometimes life-threatening or fatal reaction that may affect your skin or other parts of your body (eg, liver, blood cells) has been reported in patients taking medicines for seizures. A rash may or may not occur with this reaction. Contact your doctor right away if you develop decreased urination; rash; hives; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; swollen glands or lymph nodes; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, loss of appetite, pale stools, stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); unusual bruising or bleeding; severe tiredness or weakness; unusual muscle pain; or symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat).
- Lab tests, including electrocardiogram (ECG) or liver or kidney function, may be performed while you use Vimpat solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Vimpat solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Vimpat solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 17 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vimpat solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vimpat solution.
Possible side effects of Vimpat solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision or double vision; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; nausea; tiredness; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavioral changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, hostility); change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; confusion; decreased coordination or loss of balance; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; involuntary eye movement; memory problems; mental or mood changes (eg, new or worsening depression; panic attacks; inability to sit still); new or worsening seizures; severe or persistent drowsiness, tiredness, or weakness; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; swelling of the legs; swollen lymph nodes; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, loss of appetite, pale stools, stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vimpat solution:
Store Vimpat solution at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any medicine that is left 7 weeks after the bottle is first opened. Keep Vimpat solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vimpat solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vimpat solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vimpat solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vimpat solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vimpat solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vimpat solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Vimpat (lacosamide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 80 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: miscellaneous anticonvulsants