Vicks Formula 44 liquid
Generic Name: dextromethorphan (DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan)
Brand Name: Examples include Robitussin Maximum Strength and Vicks Formula 44
Vicks Formula 44 liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving cough due to the common cold, hay fever, upper respiratory tract infections, sinus inflammation, sore throat, or bronchitis.
Vicks Formula 44 liquid is a cough suppressant. It works in the cough center of the brain to reduce a dry or nonproductive cough.
Do NOT use Vicks Formula 44 liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vicks Formula 44 liquid
- you are taking or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vicks Formula 44 liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vicks Formula 44 liquid. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough, chronic bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if cough occurs with a large amount of mucus.
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vicks Formula 44 liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone or MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) because the risk of toxic side effects may be increased by Vicks Formula 44 liquid.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vicks Formula 44 liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vicks Formula 44 liquid:
Use Vicks Formula 44 liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Vicks Formula 44 liquid may be taken with or without food. Take with food if stomach upset occurs.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Vicks Formula 44 liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vicks Formula 44 liquid.
Important safety information:
- Vicks Formula 44 liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Vicks Formula 44 liquid. Using Vicks Formula 44 liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If your cough lasts for more than 1 week or comes back, or if you also have a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Vicks Formula 44 liquid contains dextromethorphan. Before you being taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains dextromethorphan. If it does or if you are not sure, contact your health care provider or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Some brands of Vicks Formula 44 liquid may contain sugar and affect your blood sugar level. Read the label carefully before using Vicks Formula 44 liquid.
- Vicks Formula 44 liquid is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Vicks Formula 44 liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Vicks Formula 44 liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Vicks Formula 44 liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Vicks Formula 44 liquid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vicks Formula 44 liquid.
Possible side effects of Vicks Formula 44 liquid:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; excitement; hallucinations; slowed breathing.Proper storage of Vicks Formula 44 liquid:
Store Vicks Formula 44 liquid between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vicks Formula 44 liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vicks Formula 44 liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks Formula 44 liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vicks Formula 44 liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vicks Formula 44 liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vicks Formula 44 liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vicks Formula 44 liquid.
More about Vicks Formula 44 (dextromethorphan)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antitussives