Generic Name: calcitriol (KAL-si-TRYE-ol)
Brand Name: Vectical
Vectical ointment is used for:
Treating mild to moderate plaque psoriasis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vectical ointment is a vitamin D analog. Exactly how this drug works to treat psoriasis is not known.
Do NOT use Vectical ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vectical ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vectical ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vectical ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you use phototherapy (eg, tanning beds, sun lamps) or if you spend time in the sun
- if you have a calcium metabolism disorder (eg, juvenile osteoporosis)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vectical ointment. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Medicines that raise the serum calcium level (eg, thiazide diuretics), calcium supplements, or vitamin D because the risk of high blood calcium may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vectical ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vectical ointment:
Use Vectical ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a thin layer of Vectical ointment and gently rub it into the skin until it is absorbed.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Vectical ointment unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Vectical ointment is for use on the skin only. If you get it in your eyes, nose, vagina, or mouth, wash it off right away.
- Do not apply to eyes, lips, or face.
- Do not wrap or bandage the treated area unless your doctor tells you to.
- If you miss a dose of Vectical ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vectical ointment.
Important safety information:
- Vectical ointment may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths while using Vectical ointment. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Vectical ointment should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vectical ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vectical ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vectical ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild skin discomfort at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); new or worsening skin irritation (eg, blistered skin, flushing, itching, burning, severe discomfort or redness); symptoms of hypercalcemia (weakness, nausea, constipation, excessive thirst, confusion, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vectical ointment:
Store Vectical ointment at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not freeze or refrigerate. Keep Vectical ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vectical ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vectical ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vectical ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vectical ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vectical ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vectical ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Vectical (calcitriol topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antipsoriatics