The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: isoxsuprine (eye-SOX-you-preen)
Brand Name: Vasodilan
Vasodilan is used for:
Improving blood flow in some conditions (eg, cerebral vascular insufficiency, arteriosclerosis obliterans, Buerger disease, Raynaud disease). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vasodilan is a vasodilating agent. It works by relaxing and widening the blood vessels in muscles and other tissues, which helps to improve blood flow (circulation) in these muscles and tissues.
Do NOT use Vasodilan if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vasodilan
- you have bleeding of the arteries
- you are in labor or have just given birth
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vasodilan:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vasodilan. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bleeding problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vasodilan. However, no specific interactions with Vasodilan are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vasodilan may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vasodilan:
Use Vasodilan as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Vasodilan may be taken with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Vasodilan, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vasodilan.
Important safety information:
- Vasodilan may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Vasodilan. Using Vasodilan alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Vasodilan.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Vasodilan, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Vasodilan during pregnancy. It is unknown if Vasodilan is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Vasodilan, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vasodilan:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat; severe or persistent dizziness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vasodilan:
Store Vasodilan at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vasodilan out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vasodilan, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vasodilan is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vasodilan or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vasodilan. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vasodilan. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vasodilan.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.