Generic Name: vancomycin (VAN-koe-MYE-sin)
Brand Name: First-Vancomycin 25; First-Vancomycin 50
Vancomycin solution is used for:
Treating certain bacterial infections of the stomach or bowel.
Vancomycin solution is an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use vancomycin solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in vancomycin solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using vancomycin solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with vancomycin solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems, colitis or other inflammation of the bowel, or hearing problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with vancomycin solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aminoglycosides (eg, tobramycin) because the risk of kidney problems or hearing problems may be increased
- Methotrexate because the risk of its side effects may be increased by vancomycin solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if vancomycin solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use vancomycin solution:
Use vancomycin solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take vancomycin solution by mouth with or without food.
- Your pharmacist will need to mix vancomycin solution before you get it.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- To clear up your infection completely, take vancomycin solution for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Continue to use vancomycin solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of vancomycin solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use vancomycin solution.
Important safety information:
- Vancomycin solution only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Long-term or repeated use of vancomycin solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Be sure to use vancomycin solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Kidney problems, including reports of kidney failure, have occurred in patients taking vancomycin solution. These kidney problems can occur either during treatment or after treatment is stopped, although they have typically occurred within 1 week after vancomycin solution has been stopped. Contact your doctor right away if you experience decreased urination.
- Lab tests, including kidney function tests and hearing tests, may be performed while you use vancomycin solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use vancomycin solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if vancomycin solution can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using vancomycin solution while you are pregnant. Vancomycin solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking vancomycin solution.
Possible side effects of vancomycin solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back pain; gas; headache; nausea; stomach pain; tiredness; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; decreased, difficult, or painful urination; fainting; fever, chills, or sore throat; flushing; red, swollen, or blistered skin; ringing in the ears, hearing loss, or other hearing changes; severe or persistent diarrhea; severe or persistent dizziness or light-headedness; shortness of breath; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; symptoms of low blood potassium levels (eg, irregular heartbeat; muscle pain, weakness, or cramping); unusual bruising or bleeding; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of vancomycin solution:
Store vancomycin solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Protect from light. Throw away any unused portion after 30 days. Keep vancomycin solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about vancomycin solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vancomycin solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take vancomycin solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about vancomycin solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to vancomycin solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using vancomycin solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about vancomycin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 27 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: glycopeptide antibiotics
- Vancomycin capsules
- Vancomycin injection
- Vancomycin (Advanced Reading)
- Vancomycin Intravenous, Injection (Advanced Reading)