Generic Name: Valganciclovir Oral Solution (VAL gan SYE kloe vir)
Brand Name: Valcyte
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 6, 2020.
- Very bad and sometimes life-threatening blood and bone marrow problems like anemia, low platelet counts, or low white blood cell counts have happened with valganciclovir oral solution. Change in dose or even stopping the drug may be needed if any of these side effects happen. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine has caused fertility problems in animals and some humans. Fertility problems may lead to not being able get pregnant or father a child. This may go back to normal but sometimes it may not. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- In animals, valganciclovir oral solution has caused harm to unborn babies and cancer. This medicine may have the same effects in humans. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
Uses of Valganciclovir Oral Solution:
- It is used to prevent cytomegalovirus (CMV) disease after organ transplant.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Valganciclovir Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to valganciclovir, acyclovir, or any other part of valganciclovir oral solution.
- If you are allergic to valganciclovir oral solution; any part of valganciclovir oral solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low white blood cell count, low platelet count, or low red blood cell count.
- If you have kidney disease or are on dialysis.
- If you are taking ganciclovir. Do not take ganciclovir while taking valganciclovir oral solution.
- If you are taking imipenem-cilastatin.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take valganciclovir oral solution.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with valganciclovir oral solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take valganciclovir oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Valganciclovir Oral Solution?
For all uses of valganciclovir oral solution:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take valganciclovir oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how valganciclovir oral solution affects you.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Do not run out of valganciclovir oral solution.
- If you are 65 or older, use valganciclovir oral solution with care. You could have more side effects.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are a man and have sex with a female who could get pregnant, protect her from pregnancy during treatment and for 3 months after your last dose. Use a condom.
- If you are a man and your sex partner gets pregnant while you take valganciclovir oral solution or within 3 months after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant.
- If you are able to get pregnant, a pregnancy test will be done to show that you are NOT pregnant before starting valganciclovir oral solution. Talk with your doctor.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking valganciclovir oral solution and for 1 month after stopping valganciclovir oral solution.
- If you get pregnant while taking valganciclovir oral solution or within 1 month after your last dose, call your doctor right away.
For CMV infections of the eye:
- This medicine is not a cure for CMV infections of the eye. Stay under the care of your doctor.
- Have an eye exam as you have been told by your doctor.
How is this medicine (Valganciclovir Oral Solution) best taken?
Use valganciclovir oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take valganciclovir oral solution with food.
- Your pharmacist will need to mix valganciclovir oral solution before you get it.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with valganciclovir oral solution.
- Do not mix with any liquid.
- Keep taking valganciclovir oral solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- You will need to take special care when handling valganciclovir oral solution. Check with the doctor or pharmacist to see how to handle valganciclovir oral solution.
- Do not get valganciclovir oral solution, as well as the liquid, broken tablets, or crushed tablets, on your skin or in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it on your skin, wash with soap and water. If you get it in your eyes, rinse with plain water.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it, with food.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI) like blood in the urine, burning or pain when passing urine, feeling the need to pass urine often or right away, fever, lower stomach pain, or pelvic pain.
- Signs of electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, seizures, not hungry, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Dark urine or yellow skin or eyes.
- Low mood (depression).
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Swelling of belly.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Shortness of breath.
- Night sweats.
What are some other side effects of Valganciclovir Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not hungry.
- Weight loss.
- Back pain.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Muscle spasm.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Valganciclovir Oral Solution?
- Store liquid (solution) in a refrigerator. Throw away any part not used after 7 weeks.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about valganciclovir oral solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about valganciclovir
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: purine nucleosides
Other brands: Valcyte