Generic Name: Tioconazole (tye oh KONE a zole)
Brand Name: Vagistat-1
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 8, 2020.
Uses of Vagistat-1:
- It is used to treat vaginal infections.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Vagistat-1?
- If you have an allergy to tioconazole or any other part of Vagistat-1 (tioconazole).
- If you are allergic to Vagistat-1 (tioconazole); any part of Vagistat-1 (tioconazole); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Vagistat-1?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Vagistat-1 (tioconazole). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If vaginal yeast infections happen often, talk with the doctor.
- If you have HIV infection, talk with your doctor.
- Do not use Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) if you have belly pain, fever, or bad-smelling vaginal discharge. Talk with your doctor.
- Protect clothing and fabrics from staining.
- Do not have vaginal sex while using Vagistat-1 (tioconazole).
- Do not use Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) for itching caused by a health problem other than a vaginal yeast infection. Talk with the doctor.
- Condoms or diaphragms may not work to prevent pregnancy or stop the spread of diseases passed through sex while using Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) and for a period of time after you stop Vagistat-1 (tioconazole). You will need to use some other kind of birth control for some time after the last dose. Be sure you know how long to do this.
- Do not douche or use other vaginal products like tampons while you are using Vagistat-1 (tioconazole). You may need to avoid these things for some time after the last dose. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Do not give Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) to a child younger than 12 years old without first checking with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Vagistat-1) best taken?
Use Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Use ointment vaginally.
- Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Use at bedtime.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Do not open until you are ready to use.
- Do not use the applicators more than 1 time.
- It may take 1 week to see the full effect.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Only 1 dose of Vagistat-1 (tioconazole) is needed. If you miss your dose, take it as soon as you think about it.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Stomach pain.
- Fever or chills.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Bad-smelling vaginal discharge.
What are some other side effects of Vagistat-1?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Vaginal irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Vagistat-1?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Vagistat-1 (tioconazole), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Vagistat-1 (tioconazole topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- 15 Reviews
- Drug class: vaginal anti-infectives
Other brands: Tioconazole 1 Day