Medically reviewed: April 4, 2018
Uses of Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4:
- It is used to treat or prevent gallstones.
- It is used to treat a type of liver disease caused by bile duct problems in the liver (biliary cirrhosis).
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4?
- If you have an allergy to ursodiol or any other part of Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have a biliary tract block.
- If you have a certain bile duct problem (cholangitis).
- If you have any of these health problems: Abnormal opening in the biliary and GI (gastrointestinal) tracts, pancreatitis, or swelling of the gallbladder (cholecystitis).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4) best taken?
Use Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Some other drugs may need to be taken at some other time than Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol). If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol).
- Take with food.
- Some products may be broken in half. If you are not sure if you can break this product in half, talk with the doctor.
- If you break the tablet in half, use the other half of the tablet for the next dose, as told by the doctor. Throw away half-tablets not used within 28 days.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI) like blood in the urine, burning or pain when passing urine, feeling the need to pass urine often or right away, fever, lower stomach pain, or pelvic pain.
What are some other side effects of Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Back pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain or heartburn.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Signs of a common cold.
- Hair loss.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If you break the tablet in half, store the half-tablets apart from the whole tablets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Ursodiol+SyrSpend SF PH4 (ursodiol), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about ursodiol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 12 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: gallstone solubilizing agents