Generic Name: Benzyl Alcohol Lotion (BEN zill AL koe hol)
Brand Name: Ulesfia
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 6, 2019.
Uses of Ulesfia:
- It is used to treat head lice.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ulesfia?
- If you have an allergy to benzyl alcohol or any other part of Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child is younger than 6 months of age. Do not give Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) to an infant younger than 6 months of age.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ulesfia?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) is taken by mouth, get medical help or call a poison control center right away.
- This medicine has benzyl alcohol in it. Benzyl alcohol may cause very bad and sometimes deadly side effects in newborns or infants. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Ulesfia) best taken?
Use Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Cover eyes and face with a towel. Keep eyes closed tightly.
- Rub into dry hair and scalp all the way.
- Do not wet hair before putting Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) on.
- Do not cover head while lotion is on hair.
- Leave on for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, fully rinse hair and scalp with water only.
- Wash your hands after use.
- Use special nit comb or tweezers to get rid of dead nits (lice eggs) from hair.
- Wash all bedding, towels, and recently worn clothes in hot water or have them dry cleaned.
- If you get Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) in your eyes, wash right away with water. If you have eye irritation that lasts or a change in eyesight, call your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion) is used.
- Eye irritation.
What are some other side effects of Ulesfia?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ulesfia?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Ulesfia (benzyl alcohol lotion), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.