The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: carbetapentane/guaifenesin (kar-bay-ta-PEN-tane/gwye-FEN-e-sin)
Brand Name: Examples include Oratuss and Tusso-ZR
Tusso-ZR liquid is used for:
Relieving unproductive cough and reducing mucus in the chest due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tusso-ZR liquid is a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex. The expectorant works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs, making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This makes coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Tusso-ZR liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tusso-ZR liquid
- you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) with the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tusso-ZR liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tusso-ZR liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough due to smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, prostate problems, an overactive thyroid, diabetes, or glaucoma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tusso-ZR liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because they may increase the risk of Tusso-ZR liquid's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tusso-ZR liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tusso-ZR liquid:
Use Tusso-ZR liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Tusso-ZR liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Tusso-ZR liquid is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Tusso-ZR liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tusso-ZR liquid.
Important safety information:
- Tusso-ZR liquid may cause drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Tusso-ZR liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Tusso-ZR liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not use Tusso-ZR liquid for a cough with a lot of mucous. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Tusso-ZR liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Tusso-ZR liquid.
- Caution is advised when using Tusso-ZR liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Tusso-ZR liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Tusso-ZR liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Tusso-ZR liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include restlessness; seizures; severe agitation.Proper storage of Tusso-ZR liquid:
Store Tusso-ZR liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tusso-ZR liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tusso-ZR liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tusso-ZR liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Tusso-ZR liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Tusso-ZR liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Tusso-ZR liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Tusso-ZR liquid.