Generic Name: Trihexyphenidyl Elixir (try heks ee FEN i dill)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 25, 2019.
Uses of Trihexyphenidyl Elixir:
- It is used to treat Parkinson's disease.
- It is used to treat side effects caused by some other drugs.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Trihexyphenidyl Elixir?
- If you have an allergy to trihexyphenidyl or any other part of trihexyphenidyl elixir.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
- If you have a very bad muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with trihexyphenidyl elixir.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take trihexyphenidyl elixir with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Trihexyphenidyl Elixir?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take trihexyphenidyl elixir. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how trihexyphenidyl elixir affects you.
- Avoid alcohol or other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Do not stop taking trihexyphenidyl elixir all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop trihexyphenidyl elixir, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- Loss of eyesight has happened in people with narrow-angle glaucoma. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your eye pressure and eyesight checked as you have been told by the doctor.
- Heat stroke has happened in people taking trihexyphenidyl elixir. Be careful in hot weather and during physical activity.
- If you are 60 or older, use trihexyphenidyl elixir with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Trihexyphenidyl Elixir) best taken?
Use trihexyphenidyl elixir as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with trihexyphenidyl elixir. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure trihexyphenidyl elixir.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Feeling agitated.
- Change in how you act.
- Feeling confused.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Trouble passing urine.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Very bad constipation.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Muscle weakness.
- Trouble controlling body movements that is new or worse.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Not sweating during activities or in warm temperatures.
- Larger pupils.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) may happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any fever, muscle cramps or stiffness, dizziness, very bad headache, confusion, change in thinking, fast heartbeat, heartbeat that does not feel normal, or are sweating a lot.
What are some other side effects of Trihexyphenidyl Elixir?
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Weight loss.
- Trouble sleeping.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Trihexyphenidyl Elixir?
- Store at room temperature.
- Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about trihexyphenidyl elixir, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about trihexyphenidyl
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 15 Reviews
- Drug class: anticholinergic antiparkinson agents