The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: pheniramine/phenyltoloxamine/pyrilamine (fen-IR-ah-meen/fen-ill-tole-OX-a-meen/peer-IL-a-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include Poly-Histine and Tri-Histine
Tri-Histine elixir is used for:
Relieving symptoms of runny nose and sneezing due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tri-Histine elixir is an antihistamine combination. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing.
Do NOT use Tri-Histine elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tri-Histine elixir
- you are unable to urinate or you are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tri-Histine elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tri-Histine elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma; lung problems (eg, emphysema); adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tri-Histine elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the side effects of Tri-Histine elixir may be increased
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because side effects may be increased by Tri-Histine elixir
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tri-Histine elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tri-Histine elixir:
Use Tri-Histine elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tri-Histine elixir may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Tri-Histine elixir, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tri-Histine elixir.
Important safety information:
- Tri-Histine elixir may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Tri-Histine elixir. Using Tri-Histine elixir alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or use/take Tri-Histine elixir for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Tri-Histine elixir may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Tri-Histine elixir. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Tri-Histine elixir for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Tri-Histine elixir.
- Use Tri-Histine elixir with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Tri-Histine elixir in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Tri-Histine elixir, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Tri-Histine elixir during pregnancy. It is unknown if Tri-Histine elixir is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Tri-Histine elixir.
Possible side effects of Tri-Histine elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Tri-Histine elixir:
Store Tri-Histine elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tri-Histine elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tri-Histine elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tri-Histine elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Tri-Histine elixir. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.