Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution
Generic Name: Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution (tre PROST in il)
Brand Name: Tyvaso
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 17, 2020.
Uses of Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution:
- It is used to treat high blood pressure in the lungs.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution?
- If you are allergic to treprostinil oral inhalation solution; any part of treprostinil oral inhalation solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with treprostinil oral inhalation solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take treprostinil oral inhalation solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take treprostinil oral inhalation solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how treprostinil oral inhalation solution affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- Do not stop taking treprostinil oral inhalation solution all of a sudden without calling your doctor. Signs of high pressure in the lungs like shortness of breath, dizziness, or weakness may get worse. Talk with your doctor.
- Always have a backup system close by in case you need to use it.
- If you are 65 or older, use treprostinil oral inhalation solution with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution) best taken?
Use treprostinil oral inhalation solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For breathing into the lungs only using the Tyvaso™ inhalation system.
- After the last dose is used for the day, get rid of any drug that is left in the chamber so it is ready for the next day.
- Do not mix other drugs in nebulizer.
- If treprostinil oral inhalation solution gets in the eyes or on the skin, rinse with water.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up or coughing up blood; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; abnormal vaginal bleeding; bruises without a cause or that get bigger; or bleeding you cannot stop.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Trouble breathing that is new or worse.
What are some other side effects of Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dizziness or headache.
- Jaw pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Throat irritation.
- Muscle pain.
- Bone pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Treprostinil Oral Inhalation Solution?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Store unused containers in foil pouch until use.
- Protect from light.
- Throw away any part of opened pouch that is not used after 7 days.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about treprostinil oral inhalation solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about treprostinil
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 15 Reviews
- Drug class: agents for pulmonary hypertension
- Treprostinil inhalation
- Treprostinil injection
- Treprostinil Extended-Release Tablets
- Treprostinil Injection Solution
- ... +3 more