Generic Name: desoximetasone (dess-OX-ee-MET-ah-sone)
Brand Name: Topicort
Topicort gel is used for:
Relieving inflammation and itching of the skin.
Topicort gel is a topical adrenocortical steroid. The precise way it works is unclear, but it is thought to reduce skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation) by stopping the production of certain chemicals in the body.
Do NOT use Topicort gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Topicort gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Topicort gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Topicort gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection, measles, thinning of the skin, tuberculosis (TB), chicken pox, shingles, a positive TB skin test, or have recently had a vaccination
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Topicort gel. Because little, if any, of Topicort gel is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Topicort gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Topicort gel:
Use Topicort gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area(s). Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying the medicine, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not cover the treated area(s) with bandages or other dressings unless advised to do so by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Topicort gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Topicort gel.
Important safety information:
- Topicort gel is for external use only. Avoid contact with eyes and other mucous membranes (nostrils, mouth). If Topicort gel gets in your eyes, flush them with cool tap water immediately.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Topicort gel for other skin conditions at a later time.
- If Topicort gel was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Topicort gel.
- Topicort gel should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Topicort gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Topicort gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Topicort gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild, temporary stinging when first applied.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); itching, burning, redness, or swelling not present before using Topicort gel.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Topicort gel may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Topicort gel:
Store Topicort gel at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Topicort gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Topicort gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Topicort gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Topicort gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Topicort gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Topicort gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Topicort gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Topicort (desoximetasone topical)
- Other brands: Topicort LP