The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: nedocromil (ne-doe-KROE-mil)
Brand Name: Tilade
Tilade aerosol is used for:
Preventing or reducing the number of asthma attacks.
Tilade aerosol is an anti-inflammatory. It works by inhibiting the release of chemicals that cause inflammation from cells that are associated with asthma.
Do NOT use Tilade aerosol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tilade aerosol
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tilade aerosol:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tilade aerosol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tilade aerosol. However, no specific interactions with Tilade aerosol are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tilade aerosol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tilade aerosol:
Use Tilade aerosol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Tilade aerosol may be taken with or without food.
- The canister must be primed with 3 puffs prior to the first use. Any time the canister is not used for more than 7 days, it should be primed again.
- It may be helpful to label the canister to indicate the number of puffs used. Once the number of puffs that have been used equal the number the canister contains, it should be thrown away.
- Before using Tilade aerosol, be sure that the canister is properly inserted into the inhaler unit and shake well. Exhale slowly and completely. Unless your doctor has told you otherwise, position the mouthpiece between your lips and try to rest your tongue flat. Your doctor may have told you to hold the inhaler 1 or 2 inches (2 or 3 centimeters) away from the open mouth or may have instructed you to use a special spacing device. As you start to take a slow deep breath, press the canister and mouthpiece together at exactly the same time to administer a dose of Tilade aerosol. Continue inhaling slowly and deeply and hold for as long as comfortable, then exhale slowly through pursed lips or through nose. If more than 1 inhalation is to be used, wait a few minutes and repeat the above process. Keep the spray away from your eyes.
- Use Tilade aerosol regularly to receive the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of Tilade aerosol, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tilade aerosol.
Important safety information:
- Tilade aerosol will not stop an asthma attack once it has started.
- If you are also using a bronchodilator inhaler, be sure to always carry the bronchodilator inhaler with you to use during asthma attacks.
- After you begin using Tilade aerosol, a few weeks may pass before the full benefit is obtained. Continue to use it as directed during this time.
- If you have difficulty using Tilade aerosol, or experience side effects such as bad taste in mouth, ask your doctor or pharmacist about using a spacing device.
- Tilade aerosol is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 3 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Tilade aerosol during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Tilade aerosol, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Tilade aerosol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste in mouth; coughing; headache; nausea; runny nose; sinus inflammation; upper respiratory tract infection.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty breathing; sudden asthma attack.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Tilade aerosol:
Store Tilade aerosol between 36 and 86 degrees F (2 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tilade aerosol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tilade aerosol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tilade aerosol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Tilade aerosol. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.