Generic Name: Trimethobenzamide Injection Solution (trye METH oh BENZ a mide)
Brand Name: Tigan
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
Uses of Tigan:
- It is used to treat upset stomach and throwing up.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tigan?
- If you have an allergy to trimethobenzamide or any other part of Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tigan?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution) affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Do not give to a child. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Tigan) best taken?
Use Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a muscle.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Shakiness, trouble moving around, or stiffness.
- Trouble controlling body movements.
- Muscle spasm.
- Muscle cramps.
- Trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Change in balance.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Low mood (depression).
- Feeling confused.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Tigan?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Tigan?
- If you need to store Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Tigan (trimethobenzamide injection solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Tigan (trimethobenzamide)
- Tigan Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: anticholinergic antiemetics
- Tigan (Trimethobenzamide Capsules)
- Tigan (Advanced Reading)
- Tigan Intramuscular (Advanced Reading)