Theraflu PowerPods (Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine, and Phenylephrine Pods)
Generic name: Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine, and Phenylephrine Pods (a seet a MIN oh fen, dye fen HYE dra meen, & fen il EF rin)
Brand name: Theraflu PowerPods
Drug class: Upper respiratory combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 28, 2020.
Uses of Theraflu PowerPods:
- It is used to treat nose stuffiness.
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to ease pain and fever.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Theraflu PowerPods?
- If you have an allergy to acetaminophen, diphenhydramine, phenylephrine, or any other part of this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods); any part of this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Theraflu PowerPods?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Do not use with other products that have diphenhydramine.
- Avoid taking other products that have acetaminophen in them. Check labels closely. Too much acetaminophen may cause liver problems.
- This medicine has acetaminophen in it. Liver problems have happened with the use of acetaminophen. Sometimes, this has led to a liver transplant or death. Most of the time, liver problems happened in people taking more than 4,000 mg (milligrams) of acetaminophen in a day. People were also often taking more than 1 drug that had acetaminophen.
- Follow the directions exactly. Do not take more acetaminophen in a day than directed. If you do not know how much acetaminophen you can take in a day, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Some people may take up to 4,000 mg (milligrams) in a day if told to do so by the doctor. Some people (like people with liver problems and children) should take less acetaminophen. Call your doctor right away if you have taken too much acetaminophen in a day, even if you feel well.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods).
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Different brands of this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) may have different doses for children. Talk with the doctor before giving this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) to a child.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) with care. You could have more side effects.
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) best taken?
Use this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Do not take the foil off of the pod before using. Place the pod in the brewer. Use at least 8 ounces (240 mL) of water. After using the brewer, the pod will be hot and may drip. Handle with care.
- Sip while hot. Drink within 10 to 15 minutes of brewing.
- Only use the type of brewer that you have been told to use. If you are not sure what type of brewer to use, talk with the doctor or pharmacist.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Theraflu PowerPods?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Theraflu PowerPods?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Store in pouch until ready for use.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Theraflu PowerPods), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about acetaminophen / diphenhydramine / phenylephrine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 5 Reviews
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
- Drug Information
- Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine, and Phenylephrine Tablets
- Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine, and Phenylephrine Liquid
- Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine, and Phenylephrine Pods
- Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine, and Phenylephrine Powder Packet
- Other brands
- Mucinex Fast-Max Night Time Cold & Flu, Theraflu Nighttime Severe Cold & Cough, Benadryl Allergy Plus Cold, Benadryl Allergy Plus Sinus Headache, ... +4 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.