Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor
Generic Name: Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor (tez a KAF tor & eye va KAF tor)
Brand Name: Symdeko
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 5, 2020.
Uses of Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor:
- It is used to treat cystic fibrosis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor?
- If you are allergic to tezacaftor and ivacaftor; any part of tezacaftor and ivacaftor; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampin, or St. John's wort.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with tezacaftor and ivacaftor.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take tezacaftor and ivacaftor with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take tezacaftor and ivacaftor. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how tezacaftor and ivacaftor affects you.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your lung function checked as you have been told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
- Avoid Seville oranges.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- Cataracts have happened in children taking tezacaftor and ivacaftor. Have an eye exam before starting tezacaftor and ivacaftor and while taking it. Talk with your doctor
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor) best taken?
Use tezacaftor and ivacaftor as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take tezacaftor and ivacaftor with fatty foods. This includes eggs; avocados; nuts; butter; peanut butter; cheese pizza; or whole-milk dairy products like whole milk, cheese, or yogurt.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- This medicine has 2 different colored tablets. Be sure you know when to take each tablet. If you have questions, talk with your pharmacist.
- Keep taking tezacaftor and ivacaftor as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If it has been less than 6 hours since the missed dose, take the missed dose right away.
- If it has been 6 hours or more since the missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Change in eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor?
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Tezacaftor and Ivacaftor?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about tezacaftor and ivacaftor, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between Symdeko and Orkambi?
- What is the difference between Symdeko and Kalydeco?
More about ivacaftor / tezacaftor
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: CFTR combinations
Other brands: Symdeko