The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Te Anatoxal Berna
Generic Name: tetanus toxoid adsorbed vaccine (TET-ah-nus TOX-oyd)
Brand Name: Te Anatoxal Berna
Te Anatoxal Berna is used for:
Immunizing against tetanus infections.
Te Anatoxal Berna is a vaccine. It works by helping the body build up its immune system against tetanus.
Do NOT use Te Anatoxal Berna if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Te Anatoxal Berna, including the mercury-derived preservative thimerosal or latex rubber
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Te Anatoxal Berna:
Some medical conditions may interact with Te Anatoxal Berna. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are sick with a fever or have an infection, have blood clotting problems or are taking medicines to thin your blood, have a weakened immune system, are receiving radiation therapy or chemotherapy, or have a history of seizures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Te Anatoxal Berna. However, no specific interactions with Te Anatoxal Berna are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Te Anatoxal Berna may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Te Anatoxal Berna:
Use Te Anatoxal Berna as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Te Anatoxal Berna is administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you miss a dose of Te Anatoxal Berna, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Te Anatoxal Berna.
Important safety information:
- Use Te Anatoxal Berna with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 7 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Te Anatoxal Berna, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Te Anatoxal Berna during pregnancy. It is unknown if Te Anatoxal Berna is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Te Anatoxal Berna, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Te Anatoxal Berna:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Redness, tenderness, or a raised area at the injection site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chills; fever; headache; muscle pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Te Anatoxal Berna:
Te Anatoxal Berna is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Te Anatoxal Berna at home, store Te Anatoxal Berna as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider.
- If you have any questions about Te Anatoxal Berna, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Te Anatoxal Berna is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Te Anatoxal Berna or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Te Anatoxal Berna. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Te Anatoxal Berna. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Te Anatoxal Berna.