Generic Name: Olanzapine and Fluoxetine (oh LAN za peen & floo OKS e teen)
Brand Name: Symbyax
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 29, 2019.
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- This medicine is not approved for use in all children. Talk with the doctor to be sure that Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) is right for your child.
- There is a higher chance of death in older adults who take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) for mental problems caused by dementia. Most of the deaths were linked to heart disease or infection. This medicine is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
Uses of Symbyax:
- It is used to treat low mood (depression).
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Symbyax?
- If you have an allergy to Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) or any part of Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid, methylene blue, pimozide, or thioridazine.
- If you have taken certain drugs used for low mood (depression) like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or tranylcypromine or drugs used for Parkinson's disease like selegiline or rasagiline in the last 14 days. Taking Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) within 14 days of those drugs can cause very bad high blood pressure.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Symbyax?
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- High blood sugar or diabetes, high cholesterol, and weight gain have happened with drugs like this one. These changes may raise the chance of heart and brain blood vessel disease. Talk with the doctor.
- Dizziness, sleepiness, and feeling less stable may happen with Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine). These may lead to falling. Broken bones or other health problems can happen from falling. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may raise the chance of bleeding. Very bad and sometimes deadly bleeding events can happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any bruising or bleeding.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly reactions along with a rash have rarely happened with Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine). Lung, kidney, or liver problems have also happened. Call your doctor right away if you have a change in the amount of urine passed, dark urine, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, yellow skin or eyes, or shortness of breath.
- Some people who take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) may get a very bad muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia. This muscle problem may not go away even if Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) is stopped. Sometimes, signs may lessen or go away over time after Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) is stopped. The risk of tardive dyskinesia may be greater in people with diabetes and in older adults, especially older women. The risk is also greater the longer you take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) or with higher doses. Muscle problems may also occur after short-term use with low doses. Call your doctor right away if you have trouble controlling body movements or if you have muscle problems with your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw like tongue sticking out, puffing cheeks, mouth puckering, or chewing.
- Some people may have a higher chance of eye problems with Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine). Your doctor may want you to have an eye exam to see if you have a higher chance of these eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have eye pain, change in eyesight, or swelling or redness in or around the eye.
- A type of abnormal heartbeat (prolonged QT interval) can happen with Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine). Call your doctor right away if you have a fast heartbeat, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, or if you pass out.
- Older adults with dementia taking drugs like this one have had a higher number of strokes. Sometimes these strokes have been deadly. This drug is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) while you are pregnant.
- Taking Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to muscle movements that cannot be controlled and withdrawal in the newborn. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Symbyax) best taken?
Use Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take in the evening.
- Take with or without food.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Be careful in hot weather or while being active. Drink lots of fluids to stop fluid loss.
- Do not stop taking Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Check your blood sugar as you have been told by your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may have more chance of getting an infection. Wash hands often. Stay away from people with infections, colds, or flu.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Signs of low sodium levels like headache, trouble focusing, memory problems, feeling confused, weakness, seizures, or change in balance.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Nipple discharge.
- For women, no period.
- Not sweating during activities or in warm temperatures.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Swollen gland.
- Sex problems like lowered interest in sex or ejaculation problems.
- Erection that lasts more than 4 hours.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you take Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) with drugs for depression, migraines, or certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; very bad diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) may happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any fever, muscle cramps or stiffness, dizziness, very bad headache, confusion, change in thinking, fast heartbeat, heartbeat that does not feel normal, or are sweating a lot.
- Low white blood cell counts have happened with drugs like this one. This may lead to a higher chance of getting an infection. Deadly infections have rarely happened. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a low white blood cell count. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat. Talk with your doctor.
What are some other side effects of Symbyax?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Symbyax?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine) is refilled. If you have any questions about Symbyax (olanzapine and fluoxetine), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Symbyax (fluoxetine / olanzapine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 51 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: psychotherapeutic combinations
- FDA Alerts (8)