Sulfoxyl Regular lotion
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide/sulfur (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide/SULL-fer)
Brand Name: Sulfoxyl Regular and Sulfoxyl Strong
Sulfoxyl Regular lotion is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sulfoxyl Regular lotion is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. Exactly how Sulfoxyl Regular lotion works to treat acne is unknown, but it may be effective because of its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use Sulfoxyl Regular lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sulfoxyl Regular lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sulfoxyl Regular lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sulfoxyl Regular lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sulfoxyl Regular lotion. However, no specific interactions with Sulfoxyl Regular lotion are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Sulfoxyl Regular lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sulfoxyl Regular lotion:
Use Sulfoxyl Regular lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Sulfoxyl Regular lotion is for external use only.
- Wash your hands before and after using Sulfoxyl Regular lotion, unless your hands are a part of the affected area.
- Shake well before each use.
- Wash the affected area gently with a non-medicated soap and dry. Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area and gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- If you miss a dose of Sulfoxyl Regular lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sulfoxyl Regular lotion.
Important safety information:
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting Sulfoxyl Regular lotion in your eyes, on the inside of your nose or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get Sulfoxyl Regular lotion in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying Sulfoxyl Regular lotion to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Sulfoxyl Regular lotion for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin without checking with your doctor.
- Sulfoxyl Regular lotion may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Sulfoxyl Regular lotion. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Sulfoxyl Regular lotion may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Sulfoxyl Regular lotion should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Sulfoxyl Regular lotion can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sulfoxyl Regular lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sulfoxyl Regular lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sulfoxyl Regular lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness; peeling; redness; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, irritation, peeling, redness, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of Sulfoxyl Regular lotion:
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from fire, flame, heat, and light. Keep Sulfoxyl Regular lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sulfoxyl Regular lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sulfoxyl Regular lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sulfoxyl Regular lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Sulfoxyl Regular (benzoyl peroxide / sulfur topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical acne agents