Sulfacetamide/ sulfur emulsion
Generic Name: sulfacetamide/sulfur (sul-fa-SEE-ta-mide/SULL-fer)
Brand Name: Examples include Plexion TS and Sumaxin TS
Sulfacetamide/ sulfur emulsion is used for:
Treating acne, rosacea, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion is a sulfonamide antibiotic and keratolytic. It works by killing bacteria and shedding the top layer of skin to help treat acne.
Do NOT use sulfacetamide/ sulfur emulsion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any other sulfonamide medicine, such as acetazolamide, celecoxib, certain diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), glyburide, probenecid, sulfamethoxazole, valdecoxib, or zonisamide
- you have kidney disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using sulfacetamide/ sulfur emulsion:
Some medical conditions may interact with sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema or a history of lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Silver-containing products (eg, silver sulfadiazine) because they may decrease sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion's effectiveness
- Methenamine because it may increase the risk of sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use sulfacetamide/ sulfur emulsion:
Use sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion is for use on the skin only. Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion may stain clothing and the skin if too much is used.
- Wash hands before and after using sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion.
- Gently wash and dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion to the affected area. Rub in gently.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- Continue to use sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion.
Important safety information:
- Avoid getting sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not apply sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion to open wounds or to damaged or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections.
- Be sure to use sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of sulfacetamide/ sulfur emulsion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild irritation, stinging, or burning of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); cracked or extremely dry skin; fever; joint pain; red, swollen, scaling, or blistered skin; severe diarrhea; sores in the mouth; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of ingestion may include change in the amount of urine; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion:
Store sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze. Keep sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using sulfacetamide/sulfur emulsion.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur topical
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 41 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antibiotics
- Sodium sulfacetamide 10%/sulfur 4% foam
- Sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur foam
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur cleanser
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur with cleanser
- More... (5)