Sulfacetamide sodium/ sulfur
Generic Name: sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur (SUL-fa-SET-a-mide SOE-dee-um/SUL-fur)
Brand Name: Examples include Rosanil and Sumadan
Sulfacetamide sodium/ sulfur is used for:
Treating acne, rosacea, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur is a combination sulfonamide antibiotic and keratolytic. It is packaged with a skin cleanser. It works by killing bacteria and shedding the top layer of skin to help treat acne
Do NOT use sulfacetamide sodium/ sulfur if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, difficulty breathing, dizziness, hives, severe rash) to any other sulfonamide medicine (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
- you have kidney disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using sulfacetamide sodium/ sulfur:
Some medical conditions may interact with sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema or a history of lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Silver-containing products (eg, silver sulfadiazine) because they may decrease sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use sulfacetamide sodium/ sulfur:
Use sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Gently wash the affected area using the provided skin cleanser, then dry.
- Wet the skin and apply a generous amount of medicine to the affected area. Massage gently into the skin for 10 to 20 seconds, working into a full lather. Rinse well and pat dry.
- Wash your hands right after using sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur.
- If dry skin occurs, you may rinse the medicine off the skin sooner or use the medicine less often, as directed by your doctor.
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur works best if it is used at the same time(s) each day.
- Continue to use sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur.
Important safety information:
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not apply sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur to open wounds or to damaged or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of sulfacetamide sodium/ sulfur:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild dryness, irritation, redness, scaling, stinging, or burning of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); cracked or extremely dry skin; fever; joint pain; severe diarrhea; severe skin irritation, redness, or scaling; sores in the mouth; swollen or blistered skin; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of ingestion may include change in the amount of urine; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur:
Store sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Keep the container tightly closed. Store away from heat and light. Do not freeze. Keep sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur topical
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 39 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Sodium sulfacetamide 10%/sulfur 4% foam
- Sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur foam
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur cleanser
- Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur with cleanser
- More... (5)