Generic Name: polyethylene glycol/electrolytes (POL-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kol/e-LECK-troe-lites)
Brand Name: Suclear
Suclear solution is used for:
Cleaning out the bowel before a certain medical procedure (colonoscopy).
Suclear solution is a laxative. It works by causing the colon to move contents along more quickly.
Do NOT use Suclear solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Suclear solution
- you have certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, blockage, retention, perforation, toxic inflammation, megacolon, ileus)
- you have abnormal blood electrolyte levels (eg, potassium, sodium, magnesium)
- you are using other laxatives or bowel cleansing products
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Suclear solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Suclear solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of blood electrolyte problems, seizures, kidney problems, gout, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis)
- if you have a history of irregular heartbeat (eg, prolonged QT), a recent heart attack, a certain type of chest pain (unstable angina), or other heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure, heart muscle problems)
- if you have an impaired gag reflex, trouble swallowing, or gastric reflux, or you are at risk of aspiration (inhaling foreign matter into the airway or lungs)
- if you are dehydrated or on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you drink alcohol or you are having withdrawal symptoms from stopping alcohol or benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam)
- if you also take medicines for blood pressure, heart problems, kidney problems, or seizures
- if you take any medicine that may increase the risk of seizures, irregular heartbeat, or kidney problems. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines may increase the risk of these problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Suclear solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antipsychotics (eg, olanzapine), carbamazepine, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of seizures may be increased
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, lisinopril), angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) (eg, losartan), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), digoxin, diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen), or other laxatives or bowel cleansing products because they may increase the risk of Suclear solution's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Suclear solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Suclear solution:
Use Suclear solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Suclear solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. It also comes with detailed instructions for use. Read them carefully. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist any questions that you may have about Suclear solution.
- Each bottle in this kit must be mixed with water before drinking. Do not take Suclear solution if it has not been mixed with water.
- Your doctor will tell you when to start using Suclear solution.
- Do not eat any solid foods or drink milk or alcohol on the day before your colonoscopy and until after your colonoscopy. Drink only clear liquids before, during, and after you take Suclear solution. Do not eat or drink anything colored red or purple.
- Do not eat or drink anything 2 hours before your colonoscopy.
- Drinking extra fluids before, during, and after you take Suclear solution is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Medicines taken by mouth within 1 hour of the start of the solution may not be absorbed or be effective. Contact your doctor or pharmacist with any concerns you might have about taking your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Suclear solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor. Notify your doctor right away if you are unable to finish taking Suclear solution before your test.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Suclear solution.
Important safety information:
- If you experience stomach discomfort, pain, or bloating, you may need to stop the solution for a short time or allow a longer time between doses. Check with your doctor or pharmacist for more information. Notify your doctor right away if you are unable to finish taking Suclear solution before your test.
- Contact your doctor right away if severe vomiting or diarrhea occurs, or if you become dehydrated after taking Suclear solution. These effects may lead to abnormal blood electrolyte levels, which may cause certain serious side effects (eg, irregular heartbeat, kidney problems, seizures). Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Do not use any other laxative products or enemas while you are using Suclear solution.
- Lab tests, including blood electrolyte levels, heart function, and kidney function, may be performed while you use Suclear solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Suclear solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Suclear solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Suclear solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Suclear solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Discomfort; feeling of being full or bloated; mild stomach pain, cramping, or discomfort; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased urination; fainting; irregular heartbeat; rectal bleeding; seizures; severe or persistent nausea; severe or persistent stomach pain, bloating, cramping, or discomfort; symptoms of dehydration (eg, very dry mouth or eyes, increased thirst, fast heartbeat, dizziness, headache, sluggishness); vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Suclear solution:
Store Suclear solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After mixing the solution, it may be stored in the refrigerator. Use the solution within 48 hours. Discard any unused portion of Suclear solution. Keep Suclear solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Suclear solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Suclear solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Suclear solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Suclear solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Suclear solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Suclear solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Suclear (polyethylene glycol 3350 with electrolytes)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating