Generic Name: Olodaterol (oh loe DA ter ol)
Brand Name: Striverdi Respimat
Medically reviewed on Nov 7, 2018
- In people with asthma, long-acting inhalers like Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) raise the chance of asthma-related deaths. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not approved to treat asthma. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Striverdi Respimat:
- It is used to treat COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- This medicine is not to be used to treat intense flare-ups of shortness of breath. Use a rescue inhaler. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Striverdi Respimat?
- If you have an allergy to indacaterol or any other part of Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking or will be taking another drug like this one.
- If you have asthma.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Striverdi Respimat?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) may sometimes raise blood sugar. Talk with your doctor about how to keep your blood sugar under control.
- Call your doctor right away if your breathing problems get worse, if your rescue inhaler does not work as well, or if you need to use your rescue inhaler more often.
- Do not take more of Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) or use it more often than you have been told. Deaths have happened when too much of this type of drug has been taken. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Striverdi Respimat) best taken?
Use Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- For breathing in only by an inhaler into the lungs.
- Keep out of your eyes.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep using Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Use Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) at the same time of day.
- Do not use more than 1 time a day.
- Have your inhaler use checked with your doctor at each visit. Read and follow facts on how to use the inhaler. Make sure you use the inhaler the right way.
- Before first use, put the cartridge into the inhaler.
- Prepare the inhaler before first use. Spray towards the ground until mist is seen. Once the mist is seen, spray 3 more times. If it has been more than 3 days since it has been used, spray once at the ground. If not used in more than 21 days, you will need to prepare the inhaler again. Spray until mist is seen then spray 3 more times.
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
- If using more than 1 type of inhaler, ask the doctor which inhaler to use first.
- Use new inhaler with each refill.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it on the same day you missed the dose.
- If you do not think about the missed dose until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take more than 1 dose of Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) in the same day.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Signs of low potassium levels like muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- This medicine can cause very bad breathing problems right after you take a dose. Sometimes, this may be life-threatening. If you have trouble breathing, breathing that is worse, wheezing, or coughing after using Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol), use a rescue inhaler and get medical help right away.
What are some other side effects of Striverdi Respimat?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Nose and throat irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Striverdi Respimat?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- After putting together, throw away the inhaler 3 months after first use or when the inhaler locks.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol) is refilled. If you have any questions about Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Striverdi Respimat (olodaterol)
- Striverdi Respimat Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews
- Drug class: adrenergic bronchodilators