Generic Name: Stiripentol Capsules (stir i PEN tol)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 20, 2019.
Uses of Stiripentol Capsules:
- It is used to help control certain kinds of seizures.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Stiripentol Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to stiripentol or any other part of this medicine (stiripentol capsules).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Kidney disease or liver disease.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, or rifampin.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (stiripentol capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (stiripentol capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Stiripentol Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (stiripentol capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (stiripentol capsules) affects you.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Tell your doctor if you take a drug that has caffeine, or you eat or drink products that have caffeine, like tea, coffee, cola, or chocolate.
- Do not switch between different forms of this medicine (stiripentol capsules) without first talking with the doctor.
- Many other drugs interact with this medicine (stiripentol capsules). Talk with your doctor and pharmacist to make sure that it is safe for you to use this medicine (stiripentol capsules) with all of your other drugs.
- This medicine may cause you to not be as hungry or to lose weight. You may need to take a diet aid or increase how much food you eat while taking this medicine (stiripentol capsules). Children and teens may need regular growth checks. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (stiripentol capsules) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Stiripentol Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (stiripentol capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking this medicine (stiripentol capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take this medicine (stiripentol capsules) at the same time of day.
- Take with meals.
- Do not stop taking this medicine (stiripentol capsules) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of seizures. If you need to stop this drug, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, open, or crush.
- Take with a full glass of water.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling agitated.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Lower muscle tone.
- Trouble controlling body movements, twitching, change in balance, trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Patients who take this medicine (stiripentol capsules) may be at a greater risk of having thoughts or actions of suicide. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- Low white blood cell counts have happened with this medicine (stiripentol capsules). This may lead to a higher chance of getting an infection. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat.
- Low platelet counts have rarely happened with this medicine (stiripentol capsules). This may lead to a higher chance of bleeding. Call your doctor right away if you have any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Stiripentol Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Not hungry.
- Weight gain or loss.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not able to sleep.
- More saliva.
- Nose and throat irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Stiripentol Capsules?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time this medicine (stiripentol capsules) is refilled. If you have any questions about this medicine (stiripentol capsules), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about stiripentol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: gamma-aminobutyric acid reuptake inhibitors
Other brands: Diacomit