Sotylize oral solution
Generic Name: sotalol (SOE-ta-lol)
Brand Name: Sotylize
Sotylize oral solution may sometimes cause a new or worsened irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval), which could be life-threatening. Talk with your doctor if you have prolonged QT interval or kidney problems.
Patients who begin taking or restart Sotylize oral solution should be observed in a hospital or similar setting in which heart and kidney function monitoring may be performed for at least 3 days after starting Sotylize oral solution. Close monitoring of your heart or kidney function may also be needed if your dose is changed.
Do not change from 1 form of Sotylize oral solution to another without consulting your doctor.
Sotylize oral solution is used for:
Treating certain types of life-threatening irregular heartbeat (ventricular arrhythmias). Sotylize oral solution is also used to maintain a normal heartbeat in patients who have atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter (certain types of abnormal heartbeat).
Sotylize oral solution is an antiarrhythmic medicine. It works by helping the heart beat regularly for a longer period of time.
Do NOT use Sotylize oral solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sotylize oral solution
- you have certain types of irregular heartbeat (eg, long QT syndrome, prolonged QT interval), shock caused by serious heart problems, uncontrolled heart failure, low blood potassium or magnesium levels, severe kidney problems, or asthma or other lung or breathing problems that cause shortness of breath or wheezing
- you have a very slow heartbeat or certain types of irregular heartbeat (sick sinus syndrome, second- or third-degree heart block) and you do not have a permanent pacemaker
- you are taking another medicine that has sotalol in it
- you are taking certain antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, disopyramide, dofetilide, procainamide, quinidine), a tricyclic antidepressant (eg, amitriptyline), or any other medicine that can cause a certain type of irregular heartbeat (prolonged QT interval). There are many medicines that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sotylize oral solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sotylize oral solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have breathing or lung problems (eg, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder [COPD]), an overactive thyroid, kidney problems, diabetes, blood flow problems, or a tumor on your adrenal gland
- if you have a history of other heart problems (eg, heart failure, slow or irregular heartbeat, a recent heart attack), blood electrolyte problems (eg, low blood potassium or magnesium levels), low blood pressure, problems with the acid or base levels in your body, or episodes of low blood sugar
- if you have recently taken an antiarrhythmic medicine
- if you are scheduled for surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sotylize oral solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Calcium channel blockers (eg, diltiazem, verapamil), clonidine, digoxin, diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), guanethidine, or reserpine because the risk of side effects, such as low blood pressure or heart problems, may be increased
- Antiarrhythmics (eg, dronedarone, propafenone), macrolides and ketolides (eg, erythromycin), phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine, thioridazine), quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of abnormal heart rhythms may be increased
- Beta-agonists (eg, albuterol, isoproterenol, terbutaline), epinephrine (when used to treat allergic reactions), or insulin or other medicines for diabetes (eg, nateglinide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Sotylize oral solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Sotylize oral solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sotylize oral solution:
Use Sotylize oral solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Sotylize oral solution. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Sotylize oral solution by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Do not take an antacid that has aluminum or magnesium in it within 2 hours before or after you take Sotylize oral solution.
- Sotylize oral solution works best if it is taken at the same time each day. Taking Sotylize oral solution at the same time each day will also help you remember to take it.
- Continue to use Sotylize oral solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Sotylize oral solution, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sotylize oral solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Sotylize oral solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Sotylize oral solution may cause dizziness or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Sotylize oral solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Sotylize oral solution may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or change your dose without checking with your doctor.
- If you have less appetite than normal, increased thirst, severe diarrhea, unusual sweating, or vomiting, talk with your doctor. These may increase the risk of blood electrolyte problems. Electrolyte problems may lead to serious side effects while taking Sotylize oral solution. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Sotylize oral solution. Sharp chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and, sometimes, heart attack may occur if you suddenly stop Sotylize oral solution. The risk may be greater if you have certain types of heart disease. Heart disease is common and you may not know you have it. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop taking it. Limit physical activity while you are lowering your dose. If new or worsened chest pain or other heart problems occur, contact your doctor right away. You may need to start taking Sotylize oral solution again.
- Diabetes patients - Sotylize oral solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Diabetes patients - Sotylize oral solution may hide signs of low blood sugar, such as rapid heartbeat. Be sure to watch for other signs of low blood sugar. Low blood sugar may make you anxious, sweaty, weak, dizzy, drowsy, or faint. It may also make your vision change; give you a headache, chills, or tremors; or make you more hungry. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Sotylize oral solution may make it harder to tell if you have symptoms of an overactive thyroid (eg, fast heartbeat). If you have an overactive thyroid and stop taking Sotylize oral solution all of a sudden, it may get worse and could be life-threatening. Talk with your doctor.
- If you have a history of any severe allergic reaction, talk with your doctor. You may be at risk of an even more severe allergic reaction if you come into contact with the substance that caused your allergy. Some medicines used to treat severe allergies may also not work as well while you are taking Sotylize oral solution.
- Sotylize oral solution may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Sotylize oral solution.
- You will need to have your blood pressure and heart rate checked often. Talk with your doctor.
- You will need to have an electrocardiogram (ECG) before starting Sotylize oral solution and during treatment. Talk with your doctor.
- Use with care in women. They may have a higher risk of serious irregular heartbeat.
- Lab tests may be performed while you take Sotylize oral solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking Sotylize oral solution while you are pregnant. Sotylize oral solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Sotylize oral solution.
Possible side effects of Sotylize oral solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; tiredness; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or slow heartbeat; irregular heartbeat that is new or worse; severe or persistent dizziness or tiredness; shortness of breath; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swelling of the hands, ankles, legs, or feet; unusual sweating.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Sotylize oral solution:
Store Sotylize oral solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Sotylize oral solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sotylize oral solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sotylize oral solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Sotylize oral solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Sotylize oral solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Sotylize oral solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Sotylize oral solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Sotylize (sotalol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating