Soma Compound with Codeine
Generic Name: carisoprodol/aspirin/codeine (kar-EYE-soe-PROE-dol/AS-pir-in/KOE-deen)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Some children have had serious and sometimes fatal breathing problems when using Soma Compound with Codeine after surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids. Soma Compound with Codeine should not be used in children to treat pain after surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids. Talk with your doctor for more information.
Soma Compound with Codeine is used for:
Short-term (up to 2 to 3 weeks) relief of discomfort caused by certain painful muscle conditions.
Soma Compound with Codeine is a muscle relaxant, analgesic, and opioid (narcotic) pain medicine combination. The analgesic works by blocking certain chemicals in the body that cause pain and inflammation. The muscle relaxant works in the brain and nervous system to relax the muscles. The opioid pain medicine works in the brain and nervous system to decrease pain.
Do NOT use Soma Compound with Codeine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Soma Compound with Codeine or to a carbamate medicine (eg, meprobamate)
- you have had a severe reaction (eg, asthma or wheezing, severe rash, hives, trouble breathing, growths in the nose, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, celecoxib, ibuprofen, naproxen)
- you have known or suspected bowel blockage (paralytic ileus) or a history of other serious stomach or bowel problems (eg, bleeding, perforations, blockage) caused by aspirin use
- you have a history of a certain blood disease (acute intermittent porphyria)
- you have a low blood platelet level (thrombocytopenia) or a certain bleeding or clotting problem (hemophilia), or you are actively bleeding
- you have difficult or slowed breathing, hypercarbia or hypercapnia (high blood levels of carbon dioxide), or severe asthma; or you are having an asthma attack
- the patient is a child with a viral infection (eg, chickenpox, flu symptoms)
- you are taking ketorolac, meprobamate, mixed agonist/antagonist analgesic medicines (eg, buprenorphine, butorphanol, nalbuphine, pentazocine), or sodium oxybate (GHB); or you have received a varicella or influenza vaccine within the past 6 weeks
- you are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine), or you have taken one within the past 14 days
- the patient is a child being treated for pain after surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Soma Compound with Codeine:
Some medical conditions may interact with Soma Compound with Codeine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had an allergic reaction to any other opioid pain medicine (eg, hydromorphone, morphine, oxycodone)
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea); growths in the nose (eg, nasal polyps); curvature of the spine; low blood oxygen levels (hypoxia); or hypercarbia or hypercapnia (high blood levels of carbon dioxide)
- if you have a history of liver or kidney problems, thyroid problems, bleeding or clotting problems, thrombocytopenia, gallbladder problems, pancreas problems, heart problems (eg, cor pulmonale), low blood pressure, low blood volume, an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, urinary blockage or trouble urinating, or adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease)
- if you have a history of stomach or bowel problems (eg, bleeding, inflammation, pseudomembranous colitis, ulcers), recent stomach or bowel surgery, bleeding in the brain or stroke, seizures, or the blood disease porphyria
- if you have severe drowsiness or have recently had any head or brain injury, growths in the brain (eg, lesions, tumors), increased pressure in the head, or infection of the brain or nervous system
- if you have low levels of vitamin K in the blood; chickenpox, flu, or other viral illness; or Kawasaki syndrome
- if you drink alcohol or have a history of alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence, mental or mood problems (eg, depression), or suicidal thoughts or behavior
- if you have stomach pain; if you are in poor health, are dehydrated, are very overweight, or are constipated; if you will be having surgery; or if you are in shock caused by heart problems, blood vessel problems, or severe bleeding
- if your health care provider has told you that you are a "rapid metabolizer"
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Soma Compound with Codeine. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for aches or pains, anxiety, arthritis, blood thinning, cancer, depression or other mental or mood problems, diabetes, drug or other substance abuse or dependence, glaucoma, gout, heartburn, hepatitis C infection, high blood platelet levels, high blood pressure, HIV infection, infections, inflammation, irregular heartbeat or other heart problems, muscle spasms, narcolepsy, nausea and vomiting, overactive bladder, seizures, sleep problems, stomach or bowel problems, swelling or fluid retention, urine acidity), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements (eg, herbal teas, coenzyme Q10, garlic, ginseng, ginkgo, St. John's wort) because they may interact with Soma Compound with Codeine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines might interact with Soma Compound with Codeine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Soma Compound with Codeine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Soma Compound with Codeine:
Use Soma Compound with Codeine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Soma Compound with Codeine by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Soma Compound with Codeine and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Soma Compound with Codeine.
Important safety information:
- Soma Compound with Codeine may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Soma Compound with Codeine with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Soma Compound with Codeine.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Soma Compound with Codeine; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Soma Compound with Codeine may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms continue or become worse or if you have side effects that concern you, contact your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Soma Compound with Codeine before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Serious and sometimes fatal stomach or bowel problems (eg, bleeding, perforation, blockage) can occur with the use of Soma Compound with Codeine. This may occur with or without warning signs. Taking Soma Compound with Codeine in high doses or for a long time, smoking, or drinking alcohol increase the risk of these side effects. Patients with a history of stomach or bowel bleeding or ulcers caused by aspirin use may also be at increased risk. Taking Soma Compound with Codeine with food will NOT reduce the risk of these effects. Contact your doctor at once if you develop severe stomach pain or constipation; black, tarry stools; or vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds.
- Soma Compound with Codeine may cause constipation. To prevent constipation, maintain a diet adequate in fiber, drink plenty of water, and exercise. Talk to your doctor about using laxatives or stool softeners to prevent or treat constipation while you use Soma Compound with Codeine.
- Aspirin has been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not give Soma Compound with Codeine to a child or teenager who has the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Do not give Soma Compound with Codeine to a child or teenager who has recently received a flu or chickenpox vaccine. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- Some patients may have a genetic trait that may cause Soma Compound with Codeine to enter their blood faster. This may increase the risk of side effects. Contact your doctor right away if you develop symptoms of overdose, even if you have not taken more than the recommended dose of Soma Compound with Codeine.
- Soma Compound with Codeine has aspirin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has aspirin, another salicylate, or an NSAID in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not take other aspirin products while you are using Soma Compound with Codeine unless your doctor tells you to.
- Use Soma Compound with Codeine with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially stomach or bowel problems, severe drowsiness, and breathing problems.
- Soma Compound with Codeine should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 16 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Soma Compound with Codeine while you are pregnant. Soma Compound with Codeine is not recommended after 29 weeks of pregnancy because it may cause harm to the fetus. Soma Compound with Codeine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Soma Compound with Codeine.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Soma Compound with Codeine may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Soma Compound with Codeine stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Soma Compound with Codeine for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you have been taking Soma Compound with Codeine regularly or for a prolonged period of time and you suddenly stop taking it, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; chills; diarrhea; enlarged pupils; fainting; fast breathing; fast heartbeat; irritability; restlessness; runny nose; severe dizziness; sweating; tearing; and trouble sleeping.
Possible side effects of Soma Compound with Codeine:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; indigestion; light-headedness; nausea; mild stomach pain or upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; change in the amount of urine produced; confusion; difficult or painful urination; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fast, slow, shallow, or difficult breathing; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; flushing; hallucinations; loss of appetite; loss of consciousness; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes (eg, agitation, depression, irritability); night-time stomach discomfort; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, or headache; severe or persistent stomach pain or upset, constipation, or vomiting; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; tremors; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; weight loss; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry, or bloody stools; blurred or dim vision; cold and clammy skin; coma; confusion; diarrhea; enlarged pupils; fainting; fast, difficult, slow, or shallow breathing; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; hearing problems; increased thirst; limp muscles; loss of consciousness; mental or mood changes; rigid muscles; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe or unusual drowsiness, dizziness, headache, nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; shortness of breath; sluggishness; sweating; uncontrollable or involuntary muscle movements; uncontrolled eye movements; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.Proper storage of Soma Compound with Codeine:
Store Soma Compound with Codeine at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Soma Compound with Codeine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Soma Compound with Codeine, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Soma Compound with Codeine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Soma Compound with Codeine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Soma Compound with Codeine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Soma Compound with Codeine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Soma Compound with Codeine.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Soma Compound with Codeine (aspirin / carisoprodol / codeine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 6 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: skeletal muscle relaxant combinations