Solaquin Forte cream
Generic Name: hydroquinone with sunscreen (HYE-droe-KWIN-ane)
Brand Name: Examples include Esoterica Sunscreen Formula and Solaquin Forte
Solaquin Forte cream is used for:
Lightening freckles, age spots, and other skin discolorations associated with pregnancy, skin trauma, birth control pills, or hormone replacement therapy. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Solaquin Forte cream is a skin-bleaching agent. It works by blocking a reaction in the skin cells that produce melanin, which darkens the pigment of the skin. With less melanin available, the color of the skin fades.
Do NOT use Solaquin Forte cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Solaquin Forte cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Solaquin Forte cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Solaquin Forte cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Solaquin Forte cream. Because little, if any, of Solaquin Forte cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Solaquin Forte cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Solaquin Forte cream:
Use Solaquin Forte cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before using Solaquin Forte cream for the first time, apply a small amount to an unbroken patch of skin and check in 24 hours for itching, blistering, or excessive redness or irritation. If these effects develop, contact your doctor and soon as possible and do not use Solaquin Forte cream on other areas.
- Wash and completely dry the affected areas. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands immediately after using Solaquin Forte cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Solaquin Forte cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Solaquin Forte cream.
Important safety information:
- Protect your skin from the sun during and after the use of Solaquin Forte cream. Limit sun exposure and wear protective clothing to cover the treated areas. Solaquin Forte cream contains a sunscreen. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if the use of additional sunscreen is necessary.
- Solaquin Forte cream is for external use only. Avoid getting Solaquin Forte cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on your lips. If you get Solaquin Forte cream in your eyes, wash them out with water and contact your doctor. If you get Solaquin Forte cream on your lips or in your nose or mouth, rinse with water.
- Do not use Solaquin Forte cream on irritated or injured skin.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 2 months or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Solaquin Forte cream over large areas of the body without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Solaquin Forte cream with products that contain hydrogen peroxide or benzoyl peroxide. This may cause a dark staining of your skin. The staining can be removed by stopping use of the peroxide and washing your skin with soap and water.
- Do not use Solaquin Forte cream with other medicines containing resorcinol, phenol, or salicylic acid unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Solaquin Forte cream should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Solaquin Forte cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Solaquin Forte cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Solaquin Forte cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness or cracking of the skin if applied around eyes or nose; minor redness or mild burning sensation at application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistered skin or excessive redness, stinging, or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Solaquin Forte cream:
Store Solaquin Forte cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Solaquin Forte cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Solaquin Forte cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Solaquin Forte cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Solaquin Forte cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Solaquin Forte cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Solaquin Forte cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Solaquin Forte cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Solaquin Forte (hydroquinone topical)
- Other brands: Hydroquinone and Sunscreen, Lustra, Melquin, Palmers Skin Success Eventone Fade, More (14) »