Sodium chloride solutionPronunciation
Generic Name: sodium chloride (SO-dee-uhm KLOR-ide)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Sodium chloride solution is used for:
Replacing fluids and sodium chloride when you are not able to drink enough liquids or when additional fluids are needed. It may be used as a way to give injectable medicines, to flush intravenous (IV lines), and for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sodium chloride solution is an electrolyte solution (sterile IV solution). It works by supplementing the body with fluid and sodium chloride.
Do NOT use sodium chloride solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in sodium chloride solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using sodium chloride solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with sodium chloride solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have congestive heart failure or other heart problems, kidney or liver problems, swelling with or without sodium retention, high blood volume, high blood potassium or sodium levels, a damaged urinary tract, or circulation problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with sodium chloride solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) or corticotropin because the risk of side effects of sodium chloride solution may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if sodium chloride solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use sodium chloride solution:
Use sodium chloride solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Sodium chloride solution is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using sodium chloride solution at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If sodium chloride solution contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of sodium chloride solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use sodium chloride solution.
Important safety information:
- LAB TESTS, including blood electrolyte levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use sodium chloride solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking sodium chloride solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using sodium chloride solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if sodium chloride solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using sodium chloride solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of sodium chloride solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Fever; increased urination; vein irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; muscle twitching; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; seizures; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of sodium chloride solution:
Sodium chloride solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using sodium chloride solution at home, store sodium chloride solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep sodium chloride solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about sodium chloride solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sodium chloride solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take sodium chloride solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about sodium chloride solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to sodium chloride solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using sodium chloride solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about sodium chloride
- Side Effects
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
- Saline bacteriostatic
- Sodium chloride
- Sodium chloride nebulizer solution
- Sodium chloride inhalation
- Sodium chloride oral
- More... (2)